"me scared!"

my son's new thing now is to say "me scared!" whenever i want him to do something, like eat, or brush his teeth. what's his deal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its his way of being stubborn and asserting his freedom of expression.
    ormom1977

Answer by ormom1977 at 10:50 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• does it work.. I'm mean do you stop and console him? If so.. he's manipulating you. I think this is one of the first things kids learn to do.
    scout575

Answer by scout575 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Our son does this too. Not for brushing teeth or bathtime but when he has to do something away from us. Like eating or watching a movie, if we are out of his sight (even just sitting behind him) he runs to us and sticks his hands under his armpits and shakes his torso saying 'I scared!' I think its just because they are learning to talk about their emotions and so they say it whenever they think of it which turns into a routine. For example he started when we stopped laying down with him at night & tried putting a movie on for him so he was 'scared' to be in bed alone. Now everytime he watches a movie & we aren't in sight he says he's 'scared'
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 10:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• its probably both - a way for him to get out of things for his new learned emotion and sometimes it might be real - but I would say when it comes to normal "chores" he's probably seeing if he can get away with it?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:18 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Just phase. My little girl says "I don't like it" when she doesn't want to do something or eat somehting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Aug. 14, 2009