Blaming the rape victim, what do you think?

STAMFORD -- A downtown hotel being sued by a woman raped at gunpoint in its parking garage is claiming she was careless, negligent and "failed to exercise due care for her own safety and the safety of her children and proper use of her senses and facilities," according to court documents.

The victim's attorneys also argue the hotel has inadvertently identified her to acquaintances by asking them to testify.

The Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa, along with the firms in charge of managing the hotel and its parking garage, made the claim as part of a list of special defenses filed in state Superior Court in Stamford last month. Such defenses allow defendants in civil suits to argue they are not responsible for damages even if the plaintiff's story is true.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_13048639

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Makes me sick.
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 10:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Honestly I think a smart judge will see right through their defense and a great judge will penalize them heavily for the statement!!
    ormom1977

Answer by ormom1977 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Wow. That's rediculous!

Why is it that the women is sueing though? I mean it's not any more their fault than hers right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I think rape victims that sue places like that are looking for money. Unless their sueing in order to get a law or a policy changed. She's just as ridiculous as them.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:02 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Seems this man was there before and nothing was done about it,....

The woman, identified in court papers only as Jane Doe, claims in the suit that Fricker had been in the hotel and garage acting suspiciously days before the attack, as well as the afternoon of the attack, and the hotel failed to notice him, apprehend him or make him leave. During the attack, security personnel did not see or stop him, the suit claims.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Why would they subpoena those people knowing she filed as a Jane Doe? What could they possibly gain in evidentiary value from the testimony of the Pilates instructor or the babysitter??? Assholes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• What you wanna bet she threatened to sue the hotel for not providing something that would have prevented the rape instead of being just angry at the rapist. So, the hotel beat her to the punch and sued her first. I don't know this in any factual way, but I bet, I bet, .................
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:23 AM on Aug. 14, 2009