Freaking out about flying with my 14 month old!! Any advice?

I am going to fly from NY to CA alone with my 14 month old. This is her first plane trip, and I'm starting to freak out. How do I handle it when and if she starts fussing or throws a tantrum? I just know I'll get stares from other passengers who aren't flying with kids, but oh well. I can only do the best I can.

The flight is at 6am eastern time, and we'll reach CA at Noon pacific time. We'll be getting to the airport by 4:30am (her normal wake up time is 7am).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Change her diaper to a nightime huggies diaper just before u board(then u only have to change her is she poops)
    Passie for take off and landing
    Baby sling if she still fits
    Tylenol 1 hour before takeoff if u wish, this will help her pain when her ears adjust to the pressure.
    Have a bag with 1 of everything in that u can keep in the seat back in front of u and is in reach.
    Blankie cause it gets cold.
    Lots of food and milk and whatever she eats
    I traveled to england 4 times ever since my dd was 2 months old and she is now 22 months old. Crayons and coloring books are great but I would try and make her sleep for the first half of the flight. Also u will need to eat before u get on the plane because u will not be able to do so if she is on your lap. The tray will not come down because there is not enough room. I took a sandwich with me.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 11:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• lots of books ( my 14 month old is in love with them right now), toys, snacks, few sippy cups.... and forget how many looks you get, most of the people are going to be as old as you if not older and I am sure they have children
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• oh and maybe try to get up and let her walk the aisle, probably is going to say hi to everyone but it could be fun
    Anonymous

• My flight was 10 hours long from ca to london and the another hour from london to manchester, my dd had random people coming up to her and telling her she is such an angel and that I am a very lucky mom to have such a good baby
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 11:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I just got back from my trip to Brazil. My 23 month old slept most of the time since we traveled all night. hopefully your baby will sleep in the airplane.
    1. Bring just one bag with you.
    2. Snacks that your baby likes, like cheerios,and drinks like water, juice or milk.
    3. DVD player helped on the way back with a new DVD she had never seen before
    4. If you are not traveling in first class, ask for the seat right after the first class seats. It is a lot more spacious. If not, I think the aisle is a little bit more comfortable when traveling with a baby on your lap.
    5. a blanket

Good luck
    skymcr

Answer by skymcr at 2:04 AM on Aug. 14, 2009