Do I need a new crockpot?

I cooked some fresh picked green beans for about 7 hours on low with some tomato puree that I had in the freezer and some other ingredients. The recipe said to cook a pound for about 6 hrs, and it said you could double it if you had a large crockpot. It didn't say anything about more time if you did double the recipe. I was so upset when I bit into these beans and they were still crunchy! The outside of the crockpot was HOT, and I assumed the inside was also. Is it my crockpot or did I do something wrong here?

PSMother

Asked by PSMother at 11:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Try one more meal or dish in the crock pot and see how it turns out. I have 2 and they cook so differently. I have one that on low will cook potatoes to perfection within 4-5 hours, my other one can take up to 8. Each brand of crock pot can cook things differently and take a little more, or less, time to get it just right. I would assume that doubling the recipe would probably mean you need to give it a bit more time, but I could be completely wrong about that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE QUESTION DON"T BOTHER READING AND ANSWERING. SHEESH....WHAT IS WITH ALL THE PISSY MOMS ON HERE TONIGHT? DO YOU NEED TO GET SOME?

I agree with anon, try another dish and see what happens, and it may need more time if you double the recipe
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Do a meal in it that you've done a million times and are comfortable that you know how long it usually takes. Maybe something happened to interrupt the cooking? Maybe your lid wasn't securely on?
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:44 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• LOL!!! Ok second anon, was there an answer on here that got deleted before I could come back and read them? Anyway, thanks for sticking up for me here. First anon, what brand is your crockpot that cooks in less time? And varah, the lid never seemed to fit snugly, but it does keep the steam in so I don't think that is the problem. I have had trouble cooking chicken in this same pot also. I think I'm going to go with a new crockpot so I don't feel like a failure in the kitchen every time I use it.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 10:34 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• idk but if you have an HEB near you they had them on sale for 8 bucks! (Yes, original crock pots)
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2009