What exactly is wrong with this HB provision/

Why are people opposed to doctors getting paid for answering questions about end of life decisions that go into the drafting of living wills?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They aren't. They fear it will lead to "death Panels" and a voard or people who decide who gets to live or die...Some elected officials are encouraging the misinformation as a weapon against the current administration. They are scaring old people , and old people VOTE!
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• The bill is supposed to be about PROVIDING HEALTH CARE TO THE UNINSURED.

Having dealt with elderly parents and in-laws for the last 15 years, believe me, they don't NEED this in the bill. Every hospital admit, every doctor's visit, the staff discussed end-of-life decisions with my dad, my mom, my in-laws, etc. It doesn't need to be in the bill.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Having dealt with elderly parents and in-laws for the last 15 years, believe me, they don't NEED this in the bill. Every hospital admit, every doctor's visit, the staff discussed end-of-life decisions with my dad, my mom, my in-laws, etc. It doesn't need to be in the bill.

Have to be honest and say I don't really care if its in the bill...I just really hate HOW its being used

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

But are the people who get this kind of attention insured already? Is it being offered to the uninsured younger terminal patients?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• The problem isn't people talking about it. The problem is that the bill MANDATES people coming to the home of elderly every so often. It takes away their CHOICE and this is AMERICA...HOME OF THE FREE!!
    Anonymous

• Anon :12 Can you please link me where in the bill you saw that it requires this. What I have seen is wording that allows such discussions to be paid for. I have not seen any wording requiring it. The wording I've seen suggests that the patient is given the choice. I don't want news sources; please show me where in the bill it says what you are saying. I honestly haven't been able to find it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

Free unless you are gay, but that is another debate entirely. I guess freedom only matters to people sometimes.

How does paying for care requested by a patient limit choice? To me that sounds like giving them choices.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• "But are the people who get this kind of attention insured already? Is it being offered to the uninsured younger terminal patients?"

Yes, they have been offering this for 20 years. A relative of mine died of AIDS, and they provided end-of-life counseling. He had a living will and medical power of attorney, the whole thing. He did NOT have health insurance.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

--------------------------

Help me with this then. If the govt. is already providing this care, why can't they make sure it is continued when the new plan is made? If they leave it out, it could be argued that it is no longer covered, so people might lose it if courts rule that the new law supercedes the old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• The problem is that the bill MANDATES people coming to the home of elderly every so often. It takes away their CHOICE and this is AMERICA...HOME OF THE FREE!!
    _________________________
    Are there still people that believe this?! lol please, just read the section they are talking about. There is no mandatory about it, and you are just showing your ignorance and bias.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2009