I dont understand why some moms do this... Please if your mom that wraps your baby in HEAVY blankets in 85 or 90 degree weather can you explain to me your reasoning?

OK so my son would not sleep today and he was so cranky so we decided to take him for a drive until he fell asleep, as we were getting into the car this woman walks by carrying her baby. It was like 85 or 90 degrees today and she had him swaddled in a blanket and then covered by another one, and it was not a light one it was one of those big fuzzy ones you see alot on toddler beds. She even had his face covered and she was not nursing. I see it all the time in the store too, woman walking into the store with their babies all wrapped up in the middle of summer in big heavy blankets. I mean we dont live in Arizona but its still summer and its still HOT. I dont understand why they do this, my daughter was born in May and she lived in a diaper her first 3 months of life. Please can someone explain this to me? Isnt the baby overheating under all that?

mommyin07n08

Asked by mommyin07n08 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Babies get colder easier. Maybe she was a new mom and didn't know any better. Maybe her kid is cold natured.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I used to swaddle them in those thin recieving blankets to keep them calm, but never in heavy ones in the summer. And of course, if we went outside, I liked them to be naked except a diaper for at least a little bit to get sun.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• The mom today was not a new mom, she has a 3 year old and this baby is probably 6 months
    mommyin07n08

Answer by mommyin07n08 at 11:44 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i just never put much thought in it, it never bothered me. I'd rather see kids even infants overbundled than babies chilled in bad weather without cover. I'm sure those moms eventually realize omg either my kid has a high fever or too many blankets on!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• You are supposed to dress babies similar to how you are dressed. They don't get cold easier and it is dangerous for babies to be overheated. It's a risk factor for SIDS just like tummy sleeping.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 11:50 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I have been taught that babies temps run similiar to ours so they should be dressed like we are. In our town I notice that there is primarily one nationality that covers their babies ALL THE TIME. I do not understand it being 96 degrees out and having a fleece blanket over my baby, but there are people that will cover their baby regardless of the temp
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:18 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Babies temps are very similar to adults. They do not get colder easier. If you are hot, then the baby is more than likely hot. All that bundling a baby up like described in hot weather will do, is get the child sick. Also, a baby that is overheated is more at risk for SIDS.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:05 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• The general rule for dressing babies is one more layer than you would wear yourself.

I do think heavy blankets in summer is a bit much...but here it's in the 80's...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My DD was born in October. She lived in a diaper and a sling the first 3 months. In Feb-march we had sunny, 70 degree weather and I'd take her out in a long sleeved onsie and leg warmers and we'd see babies in snow suits. o.O I always worried if I was under dressing her, but she was never cold or complaining. I dunno. Maybe I just underdress my kid. :/
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:56 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Babies under 3 months are not able to control their body temperature . Hyporthermia is far more dangerous than mild Hyperthermia. Baby's should wear one more layer of clothing than an adult. If you notice sweating ( which babies do not typically do but yes they can sweat) around the ears and neck you remove a layer .

She , was probably shielding her baby from the sun and / or wind . I do/did the same with both of my babies.

http://theparentmedic.bogspot.com
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2009