My daughter had her tonsils and adnoids removed 2 days ago...

she was prescribed antibiotics and pain medication. She is basically sleeping all day and mad at the world. I have to force her to drink her fluids. My question is....why does her breath smell so bad??? OMG its unbearable! Any tips for that?

boobuhshanubuh

Asked by boobuhshanubuh at 12:13 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Health

• She's probably in tons of pain, so yeah, I bet she's mad. She probably only feels better when she sleeps, so let her sleep. You'd have to force me to eat or drink if my throat had just been hacked up! As for her breath; better ask the doctor to make sure she doesn't have an infection. Infections tend to stink...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My daughter is getting hers out at the end of Sept. Her doc was nice enough to tell us at her pre surg appt that her breath would smell really bad and there is NOTHING that will make it better. He also said she needs to drink, drink ,drink but not even brushing her teeth a million times a day will make it better until she is all healed (close to 2 weeks) I think it is because they cauterize the back of the throat during surgery.  So, I guess you have to put up with the nasty breath for a couple weeks and I'll be right there with you soon!  Hope she has a speedy recovery!!

SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:29 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• When they take your tonsils out a lot of the time comes some bacteria with them...it comes out in chunks...its really kinda gross...I work in surgery and do this ALL the time...not only that but the surgical pencil they use to cauterize (burn) the tissue can have a foul smell to it...it will go away, just make sure she stays on the antibiotics and give her popsicles if she won't drink.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:30 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• The bad breath is a side effect of the clotting wonds. It should warn you of that in the paperwork. They scrap away the tisuse, so there's a large area that is healing with a big scab. ANd that stinks! Try to keep on her about the fluids. My friends little boy refused to eat or drink and ended up in the hospital for 3 days. He ended up coughing the scab off and having to stat the healing all over and needed IV fluids until he'd calm down and eat/drink.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Aug. 14, 2009