Do you....

teach your kids to say only kind respectful things to other people (say to someone who is overweight) or do you help them make up mean comments? I have heard some pretty nasty things come out of adult parent's mouths and wonder why.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh yea I spend my days thinking of mean things my son and I can say to fat people at the supermarket..

/end sarcasm.
    No I teach my son to treat everyone with respect regardless of shape, size, color, age, etc etc
    Now he is 4 years old and notices everything so of course there have been times where he has asked me "why is that lady so big?" or has seen someone in a wheelchair or something and asked what was wrong with them. I try to explain to him not everyone is the same,s ome people have disabilities that everyone is special in their own way.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:14 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I'm still trying to tell my son, SHHHH!!! He's 8, he knows better, but he feels a need to complete every sentence, no matter what!
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 1:15 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Every kid says things at some point that seems mean but they really don't know better or mean any harm. But if a parent is teaching this behavior that's just wrong. I don't know why anyone would ever do that.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 1:29 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Over the years we found lots of opportunities to point out the kindness of lying, the lack of need for the truth (Auntie already knows she's fat, honey, you don't need to tell her you noticed) and minimized the reaction to boorish comments, particularly when they seemed to be aimed at getting a rise out of someone.

It was not lost on my kids that we behave --speak and act-- differently when we're 'alone' and when others are with us. Eventually, they caught on to the subtleties.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:44 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Any parent that would actively teach their child to make fun of or talk behind anothers back is a bad parent. I would suspect the parents parents were bad as well if this is how they learned to raise their child.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:01 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• i feel it is very important to tech my children to respect other peoples feelings and NOT make unkind comments to anyone. i would be very embarrassed if i heard my children saying unkind things, it would mean that my parenting wasnt up to scratch :0
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Aug. 14, 2009