so i have a name picked for my little boy when he is born, but my SO just got a 5 minute lecture from...

his grandpa about how he will be picked on...wtf?
LOL
He has done this 2 times now and he knows we're set and is pushing the issue even more. I think its funny, but i know it will get annoying very fast.

has anyone ever tried to convince you to name you LO something other than what you chose? whats a nice way to get him to shut-up about it?

Dom123123

Asked by Dom123123 at 1:15 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What's the name?
    SelaCarsen

Answer by SelaCarsen at 1:16 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I am realizing there is NO way to get them to shut up!!! I just stopped telling my family because at least one person has something rude to say
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:18 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Bair like Bear
    like Bear Grylls from man vs. wild
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:18 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Yep my grandmother is a royal know it all and tells me my sons name is too hard for her to pronounce, remember and spell so I need to change it to something easier to remember like Jack or John or George (and no i'm not making this up my son is 4 and she still tells me this to this day being serious about it!!)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:18 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Hey if you like it go for it.. It's your child, there are kids with much worse names i'm sure. LOL
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:20 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• yeah I fell in love with it, and its not like my names weird or my hubby's well his is uncommon but not weird
    I just loved it when I heard someone with it and since DeMario is on board I though why not, but his freakin grandpa is getting irritating..
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:22 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Unusual names can cause problems for a child, especially if they are easily made into insults. I cannot understand why some parents feel their choice of name is more important than the damage to a kids self esteem that can come from being made fun of for a weird name.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Yes, he'll probably get picked on and teased and have to spell his name for people for the rest of his life -- but you know what? Everybody gets picked on and teased about something. It's no big deal.
    SelaCarsen

Answer by SelaCarsen at 1:24 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• "Unusual names can cause problems for a child, especially if they are easily made into insults. I cannot understand why some parents feel their choice of name is more important than the damage to a kids self esteem that can come from being made fun of for a weird name."

Let me guess your child's name is completely "normal"?
    Any name can be turned into an insult! My friends brother is named Michael and you know what? He was joked all through high school and people taunted him using his name. Who wouldve guessed such a common "normal" name would be used to taunt? If kids are going to pick on someone they're going to do it regardless of whether their name is "normal" (By your standards) or uncommon
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:24 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

I agree :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Aug. 14, 2009