I have a almost 3 year old daughter that well..hates when you cut her fingernails i mean she makes herself sick thats how upset she gets..ive tried waiting until she goes to sleep doesnt work any advice would be great?

binkybear687

Asked by binkybear687 at 1:28 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well... you could always find out exactly why she hates her fingernails being cut.
    Does she want them long like some women have their nails? Are yours long? Etc.

You can offer to paint her nails after you "groom" them like a nail salon - if she's into that, and you'd allow her to paint her nails.
    You could also let her cut her own nails under your strict supervision if that would put her more at ease.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 1:31 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• my daughter use to be like that. Now she likes having her nails painted. To get them painted she has to get them cut first. Works for me.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:17 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Try getting someone else to do it. My guy hates it when I do them but he's fine with daddy doing them. A little bribery helps too, doesn't need to be anything big and it can be something you have planned anyway like saying you have to cut nails before you can go to the playground or before you have a cookie snack.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:54 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• The only thing that worked for my lil girl, shes 3.5 was letting her hold a sucker in the hand that I wasnt cutting & letting her watch her fave show long enough for me to do it. If your not to fond of suckers there are other things as long as they have something to keep their mind off of the fact that your cutting them. Also sometimes I'll make little noises while I am doing it, like the clippers r gobbling her nail all up & she thinks thats hilarious and we clip Elmo's (fave characters) nails too. I hope this helps.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 3:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My son hated getting his nails cut too, until my fiance cut them. Now he lines right up when it's time to get them cut.
    beckyjoe

Answer by beckyjoe at 10:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2009