pregnancy strep b

when did you have the pregnancy strep b test done?? how many weeks were you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You are supposed to get it around 30 weeks,
    Its no big deal they just swab you.
    Alot of women have it.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:49 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Think I was around 28-29 weeks.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:52 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• is there any signs of having it??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Not that I really remember , Its just bactiera or something . Its not an STD or anything. It is completely normal . I do know that this last pregnancy I had tons of UTIs . That might be why LOL but Im not sure.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:59 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I didn't. Most women get it around 32 weeks though.

The reason I didn't get it is bc your strep b status can change. You can test negative for it and have by the time you go into labor. Or test positive and not have it when you go into labor and then get unnecessary antibiotics that cause issues such as yeast infections and thrush. So I opted out of the test since it's inaccurate at predicting if you'll have it when you go into labor. A trained OB or midwife can tell if you have it after you go into labor by certain signs and treat you accordingly though. I would rather do a vaginal flush or other things to rid myself of strep b if I was worried about having it.
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 1:59 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:00 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• There's no sign of it and it doesn't cause any problems for the mom however it can be dangerous to the newborn if not treated with antibiotics during labor. It is quite common. YOu can also test positive one pregnancy and negative your next pregnancy.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:02 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Yes there are symptoms you can look for that can indicate it and put you at higher risk for it. For example, had I run a fever during labor I would have asked for antibiotics even though I previously denied them.

Here is a great article explaining it and the risks (which are low) associated with it: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/groupbstrepinfection.html
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 2:05 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Strep B is not something you get. It is something you have. 30% of all woman are carriers. I am one of them. It is in the same family as the strep that causes strep throat. 20 years ago they did not test for it and the only way you knew you had it was when you gave birth. My daughter got it when she passed through the birthing canal. It afftects their lungs causing them to breath like a premature baby. IF it is not caught early it can take a baby's life. I wish they tested for it back in the day. I also got sick after birth. I was to sick to hold myself up let alone my new baby! It sucked. I was in the hospital for a week getting antibiotics and my daughter was in for two weeks. Because I am a carrier I had to have antibiotics given to me during the labor of my two boys and for twentyfour hours after along with the boys. My daughter has to let doc know cuz she could pass it on to her baby.
    unknownjourney

Answer by unknownjourney at 6:53 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I won't get my test done till i'm 36 weeks.
    smltwnmom

Answer by smltwnmom at 9:42 AM on Aug. 14, 2009