Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for diabetics or prediabetics plz..

I am not pregnant. I checked my blood sugar tonight and it was 164. I checked it again and it was 166. I tried metformin a couple years ago and it made me sick.
At what point did you get put on insulin? How high were your sugars before you were "diagnosed" as diabetic? I have a huge family history of diabetes and had gestational diabetes with two pregnancies. (So I am familiar with the disease, just not really how to get help.)


Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • With readings that high you are diabetic. You can try to keep it under control with diet by cutting carbs from your diet like most fruits & juices, potatoes, pasta, rice & breads & sticking with some whole grains, but in the end carbs or sugar in any form, healthy or otherwise, are what have to be controlled. I'm a Type 2 diabetic & I've had great results with the South Beach plan, which my dr. recommended. My readings dropped over 4 weeks from in the 300 range to normal, with me still taking Glucovance.

    There are more meds out there now than just metformin. Januvia & Byetta are widely used but each of them also has its own side effects. Metformin needs to be taken with food or it will definitely cause nausea, cramps and diarrhea. Insulin is typically a last resort because Type 2 diabetics can develop a resistance to it, resulting in taking higher and higher amounts to keep the diabetes under control. See your doctor!

    Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:34 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • A low-fat vegan diet, often combined with medication, is the best way to treat type 2 diabetes. Left untreated, diabetes will cost you your toes, feet, legs, vision and heart. Get help now. If you can't afford to see a doctor, you can Google "Community Health Centers" to find the master Web site of government-run health clinics that will see anyone, regardless of their ability to pay. You can drill down to find the location of a clinic near you.

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:27 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • Given your history, I think you should see a doctor. Did you eat before checking? What did you have and how long after you had it did you check? I see you're familiar with the disease. Just cut back on starches, fruits, etc. ((Not just table sugar)) Until you see a doctor... which I think should be done ASAP.
    Good Luck.

    Answer by LyTe684 at 8:35 AM on Aug. 14, 2009