Have you been changing your kids sleep schedule to get ready for school?

With a start time if 8 am, I've been working at getting my son to bed early, but it's really hard when all his neighbor friends are out playing and it is still light out! Any tips!
My son still needs 12 hours of sleep a night. I'd like him asleep by 7 but hubby doesn't get home until 6.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When my youngest was 5 I started letting them stay up until 8 - it was just way too hard to get them to go to sleep when it was light out, even with lined curtains and blinds under that. But no, we don't get too far off sleep schedule during the summer. We still stick fairly close to their school schedule because they're in year round school and only off for 3 weeks at a time - much more consistent!

Answer by missanc at 9:29 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I know what you mean. It is difficult to do when they hear their friends still out side. I just stick to my guns and tell them why we are going to bed earlier and that they will be so much better prepared and ready for school when it starts. I have heard that you need to start putting them to bed earlier GRADUALLY instead of an hour earlier all at once. Each night put them to bed maybe 15 minutes earlier until you reach the desired bedtime. Good Luck, it's not easy!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 9:57 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• we start 2 weeks before school starts. I have been known to put black garbage over the kids windows so the sunlight doesn't shine thru. It sucks to tell them it is bed time when it is still light out. Sometimes the shades and curtains are just not enough
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:04 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• It is really hard. We are the biggest family on the block (5 kids) & the next door neighbors are the second biggest with 4 kids. So basically, our front yards form one large play space for all of them. It is so difficult to tell my kids they have to come inside & go to bed when everyone else is still out. But I know my kids & I know they need their sleep. They have been staying up about an hour later over the summer but still wake up at their normal school time so I'm thinking we may push back their bedtime & make it a reading time before bed. We start school in just over a week so we are transitioning to more school-type hours.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:31 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Well we didn't change it much when the summer kicked in. His bedtime is normally 8:30 and he was allowed to stay up until 9 in the summer, unless we were out or something.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 1:06 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• daughter starts kindergarten sept 8th..and im starting august 24th to make it an earlier bedtime....it actually worked out perfect cuz i sighned her up for swimming lessons startin on the 24th, and they start at 9am..so we will have to be up early, it will get us used to it..cuz my daughter isnt a morning person..at all!! lol..and neither am i..so me and her are both going into "early morning wakeup practice" uuuuuuuugh so not lookin forward to this!! LOL
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Yes I started already, lights off at 8pm no later. She will have to get up at 6am, so I need to get her prepared to get up early. If you wait the week before school, you will have a tough time getting them out of bed for a while, so start now.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:59 AM on Aug. 15, 2009