Anyone got advice on crohns disease.

Amy576

Asked by Amy576 at 3:30 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Health

• Make sure you drink plenty of fluid to prevent dehydration. Take a mutivitamin daily since Crohn's can make you deficient. And avoid things highly acidic like oranges and tomatoes since they can irritate the already inflamed intestines. I don't have Crohn's but have many close family memebers that do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:45 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I work with a lot of crohn's patients. Many of them have certain food triggers that aggravate their conditions. Everyone's are different- but they tend to be things that can be harder for the body to digest. A lot of these patient's do a GI soft diet (food that is soft to your gastrointestinal system). So- it's regular food not pureed food. It's any food that you can chew to a soft consistency. So they avoid things like raw veggies and fruits. Especially things like corn, celery and pineapple. They also avoid seeds and nuts. Well cooked veggies and canned fruits are okay on this diet and most meats and breads. Just chew them well. This doesn't work for everyone- but some people find that it does help reduce some symptoms. Good Luck!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Just make sure it's not Ulcerative colitis...I had a misdiagnosis. Always have a change of clothes, as well as Immodium (I was prescribed Lomotil) carry paper towels/toilet paper/ or wipes in the car. ( You never know) If it does turn up to be UC, ask your doc about remicade infusions. I am also on Asacol, immuran, and was on steroids to try to get mine under control.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 AM on Aug. 20, 2009