How can I figure out whats wrong?

My 6 month old breastfed daughter has been sleeping through the night (10hrs) since she was 4 months old. All of the sudden a few weeks ago she started waking up 4 & 5 times per night. I thought it might be a teething issue, so I give her Motrin before bedtime, but she still wakes up. So I thought maybe she is not eating enough during the day because when she does wake up she eats a full serving. So I started feeding her more solids, she still wakes up. I let her cry it out, but it never seems to work now. She just buries herself in the corner of the crib and screams. I can't figure out if this is a seperation problem, teething, or if she's hungry. Please help, I'm always exhausted!

JanMichelle

Asked by JanMichelle at 6:45 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• im not sure, but i heard you werent supposed to give motrin till 1yr..?
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 6:57 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• At 6 months they have a growth spurt and the solid food at this age is only for practice and should not be replacing breastmilk/formula. I would just wake up and nurse her. 6 months is very early to be sleeping 10 hours without feeding especially on breastmilk.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:22 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I think you just got lucky with an early sleeper....most newborns do sleep more. My son woke up through out the night till he was 18 months old! They do this sometimes. There is not much you can do....the only thing I can suggest is no feeding right before bedtime....this may or may not work. They say if a baby sleeps 5-7 hours it is considered sleeping through the night. And I have to agree with the previous poster your baby is too young for Motrin unless your doctor tells you to! Good Luck momma and know you are not alone.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 7:24 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Yea, she used to be such a great sleeper! My pediatrician told me to give her 1/2 tsp of Children's Motrin, not infant, before bedtime. But that doesn't seem to be working. I think maybe it might be from feeding right before bedtime, but I always used that as part of her bedtime routine. Solid food, bathtime, breast feeding, bed.
    JanMichelle

Answer by JanMichelle at 7:37 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• She could be teething AND Going through a growth spurt. my guess is more growth spurt but my son was still waking a lot at this age so I can't be certain.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Definitely sounds like a growth spurt. And teething may be beginning if it hasn't yet. Its rough but just give your lil one TLC.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• 1) You're giving more babyfood during the day, so she is now getting FEWER calories than she was when you were just nursing. Cut back on the baby food, it's only practice anyway, not for nutrition.

2) You listed trying everything except nursing her. What happens when you do feed her after she's waken up?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

Answer:

--She eats a full serving almost EVERY time she wakes during the night. She usually falls asleep after she is finished nursing, and I just lay her back in her crib.

How long does this growth spurt everyone is talking about take? Does it last for a long time? And if this is teething them why isn't the Motrin that the Pediatrician suggested helping?

--Thanks everyone for the answers, I reallyyyyy appreciate it.
    JanMichelle

Answer by JanMichelle at 11:37 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• The motrin isn't helping because it's not teething. She eats a full serving "EVERY" time she wakes and then falls asleep.

She's hungry. Feed her, put her back down and be glad you got those 10 hours a few weeks ago. She'll eventually sleep through the night again.

So...what's wrong? You've already figured it out....you're feeding her because she's HUNGRY.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Your baby might just be changing sleeping habits. She is more mobile and perhaps she is waking herself up. If you keep picking her up she'll get use to that really quick.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 14, 2009