what else will my puppy have!!??

I've asked a few questions about my puppy before, first we found out he had fleas and roundworms so we finally got rid of those not even a week ago then yesterday his vet calls saying his stool sample has come back and it's positive for cocidia (sp) and yesterday morning and this morning i have seen what i think may be tape worms.......it was completely dif. then before they are just specks which i see moving short and thin......so i'm planning on taking his poo to the vet and c whats up.........have any of you gone through this before? where is the end we've become attached and we have only had him for a mth tomorro any advice or anything really i'm going crazy....

n_o71605

Asked by n_o71605 at 6:54 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Pets

• I had this problem with my kitten-- it seemed never-ending! My vet wasn't as vigilent as yours, and I ended up diagnosing the coccidia and had to insist on a fecal float test to confirm. If they diagnosed coccidia, they should have also looked for other worms and segments, but record everything you see weird in their poo and behavior, and let them know.

Kittens and pups are so susceptible to these kind of infections, so keep your chin up! It took us a few months of vigilence to finally rid him of everything. In the mean time, I was such a hovering owner that he got used to all the handling. At this sickest, I used to hold him with his chin on my shoulder, and to this day, if he needs comforting, he'll cry to be held and put his head on my shoulder.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 7:21 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• thanks for replying i know what you mean about the hovering he's like baby number 2 right now for me but my hubby just thinks i am crazy lol
    n_o71605

Answer by n_o71605 at 8:11 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Yes my second puppy had all kinds of problems. One thing after another for the first couple of months we had her. And we got her from a decent breeder, too. I would imagine getting a puppy from a pet store could be much worse. Our dog had a couple of fleas, nothing really bad, but fleas carry tapeworms, so we had that. Then most puppies do have roundworms. I don't remember if she had roundworms or not, but she did have coccidia. Adult dogs can have coccidia and get over it without it making them sick, so you would never know, but when puppies' systems are depressed - such as when they leave their moms, it can then make them sick. So we dealt with that right away. That was a nice costly trip to the ER vet. These are all typical puppy illnesses. Soon you should be in the clear and things will look up.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• LOL, sorry to laugh but I know exactly how you feel. We adopted a boxer/pit mix. His leg had been broken and he had not been taken to the vet. We took him to our vet a couple of days later and found out the bone to the leg was infected. It had to be amputated ($800). THEN a week later he had worms. NEXT came the jaw infection FOLLOWED by a cut to the eye which caused him to go blind. Of course after that he got mange!!!! Required 8 dips once a week at $35 a pop. This was all within in owning this dog for 6 months! FINALLY he is healthy, happy and our million dollar pound puppy! My first response with the leg amputation was put him down. My Husband went behind my back and went through with the surgery. I couldn't be happier! I LOVE that dog with all my heart and every penny spent was worth it.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Sorry, clarification, he is blind in ONE eye. The eye that got cut.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• LOL-- I think we all must be crazy!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 10:21 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• puppies r like kids the health problems never seemto end...my problem child is my horse the one nite i didnt go to the barn he came down sick adn im trying to treat him with old meds since i cant afford a emergency vet call btw its like 60 a hr whenu make a emergency vet call here since they come out to the farm sooo i know what arong with him and i call the vet toconfirm the treatment and start it....as far as puupy goes i make it a habit when i get a new mammal i make sure the utd on shots, then give them a flea dip, then i worm them and i use a wormer that covers everything...pin, round and tape r the most common treated cocitioses u cant treat at home the vet will give u a med that u have to give orally the stuff my vets uses is yellow and thick like syrup. but i go throwugh this routine with anyone who is new to the family it help prevent the spread of anything they might have
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 11:24 AM on Aug. 15, 2009