Congestive heart failure and Aortic dilation

My mom was just diagnosed and is in the hospital for more test. Can someone please make me feel better? Tell me anything.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 8:07 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Health

• from what i remember, i would say that the aortic dilation will probably just be monitored as she is probably not a candidate for surgery. monitored with echocardiograms and/or ultrasound to check for diameter increases. she may be given more meds to reduce the strain on her heart and vascular system even if she doesn't have hypertension, although i suspect she does.
    as far as the CHF goes, i'm not sure to what degree she has it. if she was recently diagnosed she could have either had it all along and never diagnosed OR this could be a new problem onset. CHF is a long term condition that can only be managed and not cured. Considering all of her relative situation and contributing factors I can almost assuredly say the CHF will cause repeated hospitalizations and greatly diminish her mobility due to breathing problems and fatigue. I hope her CHF is mild right now.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:10 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• how old is she? and is she a compliant patient? those two factors will have a great impact on her outcome. also, if she has any other contributing factors like obesity, diabetes, smoking, lives alone, has good health resources at her reach, has transportation and so forth. send me a note.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:47 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• She is obese due to medications and immobility. she is restricted to an oxygen tank and is also diabetic. She has complications of diabetes like being insulin resistant and nerve damage. her nerve damage was misdiagnoses for over a year as Parkinson's. this was corrected after I got her an appointment with a Parkinson's specialist and he corrected the diagnosis given by her neurologist. She lives with my dad. She has never smoked. She is not always compliant about her diet but she does take her meds and go into the doctor regularly. She sees the heart doctor every 3 weeks, her diabetic and also her pulmonary doctor every month. She see the neurologist every 6 weeks. My dad is not a question asker so I don't know as much as I could about everything I guess. I will be at the hospital this evening and you can bet the doctor won't like me. :0) I have a list of questions!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:55 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My dad and grandfather died of it. I have a predisposition to having it since I have the same heart condition they started out with. The first thing I did was lose 50 lbs and need to lose another 50! I changed my eating habits and started exercising. (not vigorous but enough to help me get the weight off - simple weight training and using resistance bands, walking, swimming, recumbent bike). My dd was a diabetic and she got on Metforman (sp?) and her weight melted off without exercise or changing her bad eating habits. She can help herself if she makes up her mind to get the weight off and eat right. It's not a joke. She can die if she doesn't take this seriously. It's very easy to want to give up and just let "nature take its course" but encourage her to try and support her. It's not easy. I can tell you that. I had help from my sister to push me when I kept giving up. Remind her you want her around for a long time

Answer by admckenzie at 11:58 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• i have had CHF and i still have it to this day.. i was born with Aortic Stenosis already had 2 open heart sugeries in my lifetime. my last surgery was 2 yrs ago where my aortic valve was replaced. the drs will do mostly testing on her heart to see how it works and to see if any surgeries needs to be done. i hope everything goes good and all tests come back good.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 14, 2009