why is it that parents think if they arnt doing anything bad enough to have their children actually taken away by CPS, that they are good parents?

i mean seriously, there is a HUGE difference between parenting in a way that involves loving care and respect for your children, and trying to raise them the best way each individual possibly can and having them taken by the state..... and yet there seems to be many people who feel that the fact that their children have not been removed from their home means they are in fact a fabulous parent....WTF?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• Actually it takes alot to have a child removed from their home, so just because you still have your child in your home doesn't mean anything at all. You could be a not so good parent and still not be abusive. There are many degrees of being a "good" parent, and each person judges this different. But there is also a certain level of care that most parents agree is being a good parent. I'm sure every parent wants to tell themselves and others that they are a good parent. The material things you can give your child does not constitute a good parent, it's the relationship, love, caring, respect that really determines if someone is a good parent.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• at one point i was not the best parent but i knew i was wrong and gave the children to my mother to raise. now i see the other side where my sils have children from parents that had their children taken from them. i hear of the homes these children come from and i feel bad. you know they ahve parents in jail, drug users etc. believe having been a drug addict for many yrs i can tell you you are not being a good parent then. i think cps should always take the child away from someone involved in drugs. always cause even though i didn't beat my kids and they were clean etc. they rarely ate and i never had a stable home. since i loved them enough i gave them away as i couldn't get clean on my own. have been for 9 yrs now and have my kids with me growing and so proud of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• You can always find someone who is doing a worse job than you. But if you're doing a bad job, that doesn't make you parent of the year, just because someone is worse off. I see that all the time, "well, at least I'm not doing THIS." Whatever.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:04 PM on Aug. 14, 2009