speach therapy

my 3 year old went for his speach evaulation on wednesday. they placed him in the sever category becuase 1. he dosent talk well. and 2. he wasnt paying much attention or listening to the lady...

so soon he will have therapy once a week for an hour, for those of you that have been through this is it better if im in the room with him, or if im just outside waiting? i also dont think once a week is enough.. he is not in preschool or anything else outside the home, i am trying to get him in something atleast 2-3 times a week so ehs around other kids....

thanks

2cuteboysrmine

Asked by 2cuteboysrmine at 9:03 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son started speech at 3. At first it was in our home. I sat in on the first few sessions than I let them be. Less distraction. Then he was moved into a preschool where I didn't go. I beleive you know your child best and the choice should be made on how confortable you are with him and his speech pathologist.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:12 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I just got done meeting with the school psychologist to try and possibly get my son involved in speech therapy. I have to get his eye and ear test done first but when we were talking she stated that its usually about 45 min once a week and when I asked her if I can stay with him, she said that its preferential because I, as the parent need to know how to help him too. Its not a place to drop them off and go. I just dont feel comfortable leaving my son with someone I dont know. Once I get familiar with them, then I am sure there will be days I dont stay. I hope it all works out for you. I am in the same boat so I know how you feel. I do have 3 older children who dont have any special needs, so this is my first experience with ST.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:12 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• thanks.. this is in the hospital downtown, i just feel like he would do better without me there, they have told me a few things to start doing at home, and she said they prefer that parents dont try and do the therapy themselves, due to interferance, like if we over wmphacise a syllabale in a word. then it undoes what they are working on... i guess its just best to wait and see... im really nervous about this though...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 9:20 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My son has Down Syndrome and has had speech therapy since he was close to 2yrs.old. I was always in the room along with his 2 brothers. We also go to a play group every 2 wks. and that has helped him so much. He starts DART which is a pre-school with special needs children and typical children combined. There the speech therapist will work with him one-on-one of corse w/out me there. I do have a Special Educ. background so i work with my son at home a well. He has inproved so much. I know we have 2 different situations here, but both deal with ST. His 4yr. old brother seems to be the best ST Dominic repeats or tries to repeat almost everything his older bro. tells him to.LOL
    team21

Answer by team21 at 9:26 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• In my experience as a preschool special educator with ages 3-5, it really depends on the child. If you are in the room, will your son be clingy towards you? It has been my experience that children tend to not do what the therapist wants then to do if the parent is present. I think it is a good idea for him to go in by himself IF HE WILL. Show him were you will be waiting for him when he finishes, explain to him that he will be playing some games with the therapist. Then just see how he does. Often kids are looking for your response which tells them if you think they can handle the situation or not. Show him you think he can do it.
    About the amount of time. I have concerns no about the amount of total time, that is more than alot of kids get. I am more concerned about your son being able to sit and attend to therapy for 1 hour straight. You stated that at the eval. he had trouble paying attention. (cont)
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 9:32 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• (cont) Could they possibly see him twice a week for 30 minutes? He might get more out of the session if it was shorter. Typically, children aged 3 can attend to one activitiy that is teacher directed for about 15 minutes or less. It is just a thought.
    Lastly, the therapist may give you speech homework to do with him or just some recommendations. I don't know what your sons specific problem is. Did you get his hearing checked before the evaluation? Does he hear alright? This will affect his speech completely. Does your son get frustrated when he cannot make his wants and needs known? If so ask the therapist about the use of pictures or signs to give him a way to communicate with you until the speech comes.
    Also, I would recommend that your son attend a preschool program with children his age that have typically developing speech abilities. When kids hear the speech of their peers, they learn to talk quicker
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 9:40 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• lovetoteach..

thanks so much... he has no problem going with someone without me.. even a stranger, i know he would do better if i wasnt there, if i am there he is going to show off and try and be cute. with the time thing the only appts they offer is 45mins to an hour, the time depends on how much they accomplish. i dont really think the time will be a prob, if hes into something he can sit and do it for hours. but they had distractions in the room, trains and snakes and tons of toys.. all he wanted to do was play.
    he had a hearing test last week and he hears perfectly. he says enough to get his wants met, i understand him he just dosent say things clearly. and only says whats nessicary. the problem lies in if he sees soemthing he cant say, then he gets very upset! but he says " want juice and food and stuff well enough to be understood by family.
    i would love to put him in preschool but
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 9:47 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• cont...

we qualify for the free preschool< other wise we couldnt send him> and they wont except him becasue of his leve of speach.. i am trying hard to find a way to afford the $80 a week for the other preschools but its gonna be a struggle! and i dont know of anything else to try and get him in
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 9:49 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• In my area we have two special preschools that are 100% govt. funded. My DS will be attending one after his third birthday, His speech therapy is twice a week in home, he does well this way it is in his safe place, he is less distracted because it is nothing new, it also helps the therapist because he is more interested in what she brings.
    I'm confused as to why the therapist told you NOT to do any thing out side of therapy, my son's gives us hand outs and encourages special games and activities to assist the therapy. I suppose each therapist is different, however if you are uncomfortable with how often your son receives therapy talk to your service coordinator.
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• It mostly depends on their policy and if you are allowed in there how you think he will react.

My two youngest receive speech twice a week for 1/2 hour. You're getting the same amount just in a huge block. You may find it's too much and (personally) I would request it be split up...twice a week for 1/2 hour. (we did an hour to get in a make up session and by the end, everything was backfiring because he was tired).

If a preschool isn't going to accept your son because he has a severe speech delay, there's a problem with that preschool...steer clear of it.

While you won't be doing the therapy at home, you DO have to carry over. If they are working on him pronouncing the letter "F", then you need to work with him at home! It WON'T work if he's only making the sound once a week!!! Everything our speech therapist does, we continue...it's part of daily life now. "Does the puzzle piece BIT or FIT"?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:50 AM on Aug. 14, 2009