is 8 months too soon?

i want her to use a sippy but she doesn't take to it, is it too soon for her 2? and she hates baby food what are good table foods for an 8 month old to eat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My youngest has been using a sippy cup since he was 6 months old. Just keep giving it to her and letter her handle it. She should get used to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• if you are using a plastic sippy, she may be tasting the plastic, Try stainless steel, either a sippy or water bottle. Jarred baby foods are pretty gross. Great foods at this age are avocado, baked sweet potato, cooked and mashed beans and lentils, pureed peas, etc.

Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.

The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 9:32 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• my son would not use a sippy cup that did not have handles on it. He just simply didn't know how to tip it up and it made him very frustrated. So I went and bought some cheap sippy cups with handles from walmart. Now he is a pro at using his sippy cup and i just began at the end of him being 6 months he is now 7 months and a week old. Just work with your lo while they are setting in their high chair.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My son started using a sippy at 6 months - he likes the ones with a soft spout and 2 handles, we use the nuby. As far as table foods - we feed my 9 month old whatever we're having (last night - chicken breast, which i chopped up for him, peas w/ mushrooms, and corn). At 7 months I started giving him what we were having and he liked it much better than baby food.

Answer by missanc at 9:43 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My son was on a sippy and only a sippy at 9 months I never had the problem with the baby food though he has always been a good eater
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• We put ours on sippies at 6 months and had good luck with the Nuby.

As for food, ours were almost totally eating whatever we ate, so I'd say start giving her bits of what you're eating. Fix her a plate, dice it up and give it to her. She may go to town!! I wouldn't worry about fixing her something separate unless you're eating something you know she can't have yet...

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:10 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My daughter would never take a sippy. She wanted nothing to do with it. I have like 7 different types of sippy cups. I have now moved on to a cup with a straw, she'll use it but reluctantly. She loves regular cups, but I obviously can't trust her to hold it yet . . . she'd wear it all.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:26 AM on Aug. 14, 2009