can you freeze things like........

boloney ( in the package not open ) velveta cheese, or even cream cheese, or even sour cream? i have only had my freezer in the garage for a few months now and its new to me and there are some good sales on stuff we do use but i only get when its on sale just wondering if these things can be frozn for later use when i do need them and there not on sale... any info is helpful..or just plain old...what do u freeze...thanks in advance...(:

tabbys4

Asked by tabbys4 at 9:48 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Dairy products are hard to freeze. In my experience, things like cream cheese, cottage cheese, and sour cream end up real grainy when they've been frozen. Milk does ok though, you just have to make sure to pour some of it out before you freeze it so it doesn't explode. Lots of things freeze well though. If you google it, there is TONS of info on line about freezing things!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 10:07 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Baloney, yes. The others, I do not know about. I never have put them in the freeze before. But my DD says she freezes bread and milk.

Answer by louise2 at 9:51 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Bologna, yes. Velveeta, yes. Cream cheese may not hold its consistency. Not sure on the sour cream.
    I freeze milk, bread, veggies, baked goods, cookie dough, leftovers, baked casseroles, homemade pizzas, raw meatloaf mix, soups (not cream soups) and shredded cheese.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Bologna and other lunchmeats, yes. I wouldn't freeze sour cream or cream cheese. If you freeze cheese, shred it first.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Actually, I freeze cream cheese if it's for using in recipes. Anything where you're going to cook the cream cheese. I wouldn't use it as a spread or in icing.

My mom uses it as a spread after freezing. Please don't. Naaaaaaaaasty.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 3:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2009