Need help with quiting breastfeeding

Hello,
My baby is 17 months old and she has problems with her teeth.The doctor said to stop breastfeeding her immediatly and I don't know what to do.We are already nursing only twice a day: for nap and for nighttime sleep,but the problem is that she wouldn't fall asleep without "boo". We tried last night and after almost 3 hours of screaming I gave up.
Please let me know if you have any advice,
thank you

Tanitka

Asked by Tanitka at 10:03 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• honestly, i've never heard of breastfeeding causing teeth problems. i though only pacifiers and bottles did that? if i were you, i'd get a second opinion and keep on bf'ing as long as you want to.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 10:09 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I agree, what is breast feeding doing that is ruining the teeth? Yes, she is falling sleep with small amounts in her mouth but that is not all bad for her teeth. There are emyzes in breast milk that protects teeth. Try taking your daughter to a dentist and see what she has to say, figure that is their specialty.
    For the record I breast feed my oldest until 18 month, no problems and my youngest is still breast feeding at 19 months. And they both have nearly an entire mouth full of teeth. I doubt it is the breast feeding.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:23 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I would get a second opinion, and would probably ask a dentist since that's what they went to school for, the last I knew a pediatrician hasn't had any training there. Don't worry or stress about it. Just try to remove the nap time feeding first. Make sure you switch up the routine in which you lay her down for nap and bedtime. Try running around the house with her to get her nice and tierd. Then lay her down differently. Ex. - with my son I would always rock him while I was breast feeding him. So I no longer did this to lay him down. I would stand, hold him him/rock him, and started singing him songs to relax him. Yes he cried a couple of times, but adapted quite quickly. At night your hubby is going to have to get involved. Try having him lay her down. Make sure that he spends 10 min. singing to her, talking to her, maybe a little tickle, a little laugh, what ever it takes to relax her first before he puts her in her bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• CONT.
    It's hard, not easy and all you can do is try, try, and try again. Don't stress yourself out if you can't make it happen in a day or two. I'm sure what ever is going on with your daughters teeth is going to magically get better over night just because you cut her off of the breast over night. It's probably close to time to start weening those last feedings anyways. It's sad, but once you do you will feel a little more freedom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• take her to see a dentist. Don't worry about weening all at once. Just try to take a week to remove the nap time feeding first. Then work on the night time. I'm sure the breast has nothing to do with her teeth, but probably getting close to weening another feeding anyways, right? Leave the night time for last. It's stressful and if your stressed then she is stressed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• It's a popular myth that nursing damages teeth. Breastmilk has protective qualities. Bad teeth are the result of bad teeth genes, mostly. Check out brianpalmerdds.com if you are interested.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Should she stop eating, too?

Breastmilk actually is fine, PROVIDED you brush all solid residue away. What kills the teeth is breastmilk attaching to food.

Also, you said doctor and not dentist. Get a good dentist opinion, and make sure thye are breastfeeding friendly.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:11 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I actually talked to a pediatric dentist and she told me to stop. My daughter is gonna have surgery done in a month,they are gonna put caps on her front teeth,so she said I have to quit by that time.
    Tanitka

Answer by Tanitka at 1:20 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I nursed my son till he was 13 months old all day and night and never had problems with his teeth. Your not supposed to give them a bottle and let them fall asleep with it in there mouth cause the milk just sits there but with nursing they finish eating and then you take the boob out. You can always wash the gums or teeth with a wet wash cloth afterwards but I dont think you should stop breastfeeding unless you want too. I as well would get a second opinion. GL
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:44 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Get a second opinion from a new dentist. Call LLL and ask them for a recommendation. Breast milk does not cause tooth decay. Esp on front teeth. I mean, really? When a child nurses the nipple goes BEHIND the teeth, and if the nutritive sucking stops the flow stops. It's not like a bottle where it keeps dripping into their mouth and pools.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 5:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2009