Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Public Assistance question...Food Stamps

My husband is deployed and money is still very tight.
I do have WIC but was wondering about food stamps..
My issue is that im a Stay At Home Mother. And want to continue to be..I know in California they MAKE you get a job and put your children in Daycare..I'm not one of those lazy moms trying to milk it lol.. I just want to be home with my children..AND since my husband is deployed we travel (i don't mil does) We just need a little help..What do i say lol..I HATE the idea of this :/ but putting food in my children s tummies is important.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (8)
  • idk
    hard spot to be in im sorry
    talk with you hubby when you can about what to do
    good luck
    maybe sell avon, or pamperd chef or something part time from home that just brings in a little extra

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:17 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • sell avon, or pamperd chef ..OOOOOo thats a good idea...


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • Really, in CA they make you get a job? Where I'm at, as long as one of the parent's are working, you can receive benefits.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • In Iowa all the punk kids that dropped out of highschool and refuse to get jobs get 170.00 a month food stamps. Needing a little extra help and wanting to stay home with your kids should entitle you to a lot more than that! I'm a single mom and get 395.00 in food stamps for myself, brother and son.

    Answer by MommyKKay at 11:04 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • I would apply for food stamps. They'll take your hubby's income and your bills into account, and tell you if your eligible. If they say you have to work, tell them forget it, and see if you can babysit a few kids in your home for extra money. My hubby and I both work, but we have 4 kids, so we qualify. I'd try and see.

    Answer by ladybug4 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • I ive in california and yeah they have the calworks thing here. But i know alot of stay at home moms that get fs and stay wt their kids plus your hubby is "working" so i dont think it would be a problem for you why dont you call and get info before you apply that way you know what will happen.

    I do paid surveys online they are free if you are interested in making some extra money send me a message for some more info. Hope everything turns out ok sweetie godbless!!


    Answer by florezitta10 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • in most states you can get benefits for a short pd. without working, like a 3 month pd. other wise if your a married couple and one of the spouses works, that counts enough. however, here if your husband is military you get free daycare when he is deployed, and doing that for 6 hours a day would allow you to work to bring home plenty of money. you can google dss in your state to see what the income limits are, so you dont waste your time trying to lie or whatever about your income. if your married they will ask for his LES....and if he makes too much then theyre gonna tell you NO right on the spot.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • Your husband is military? It's disgusting they don't pay him enough to support his family in exchange for risking his life serving his country! This is shameful.


    Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 AM on Aug. 18, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.