How many of you have kicked a bad habit or overcame obstacles in your life simply by believing in YOURSELF?

I myself stopped smoking COLD TURKEY after 6 years without help from anyone but me; simply gave it up and never touched them again. I gave up alcohol all by myself as well after YEARS of drinking.

I was physically, mentally and emotionally abused as a child, date raped and ended up pregnant and had the baby and guess what? I managed to do it all alone- without needing prayer, God, religion or even a therapist.

I am a firm believer that power to heal comes from within one's self if only people would realize their strength, have faith and trust in themselves they can overcome anything.

What have YOU overcome with your inner power and strength?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:17 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The biggest thing I've had to overcome was the loss of my father last year, and I did it without prayer, god or religion.  I didn't do it alone though,  my husband was my biggest support along with my mother and children.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:34 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• There are way too many things to name off the top of my head.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:21 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I am empowering myself in a bad situation by sometimes asking God not for a 'near perfect' or 'perfect' answer or solution to my problem but instead I pray for His guidance or His help in Dealing with a hard hard situation. Doing that calms me and send me on paths of healthy relief and rest. I do not believe that praying to God gets answers we need or fix problems. History shows prayer does not bring immediate or even longlasting good answers. But I know in my life prayer brings me patience and rest to figure out and put to work better choices as answers. If something busts again, I pray again for guidance.

I have gained strength of my soul and intelligence, patience from searching myself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Meeee =) I can't go into detail now though, I'm typing on the Wii & it takes waaay too long.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:34 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• does it really matter how things are overcome, whether by a person's own will, or with the help of a 'friend'? some people who rely on God/gods or religion, therapists, medication actually feel stronger, just knowing they have an 'edge', no matter what/who they deem as the spotter. what matters is that things/problems/addictions/etc can be overcome. if a person gives glory to God, or medication, or whatever, so what? it doesn't mean they are weak or dependent, or can't accomplish overcoming a hardship...it simply means they need help, wherever they can find it and be comfortable in doing so.
    despite sounding hypocritical, i also think when people rely too much on something/someone, it gives them space to blame something/somone else if they aren't successful. 'the meds didn't work for me'. 'God must've been busy with someone else.' 'i can't afford a therapist.' 'God never helped me.'
    JMO
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:39 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Since I'm both a Believer in the power of the Lord and also working on my Psychology degree, I can see what you're saying in both ways...First off, I want to say "Well Done" to the ones who are able to be strong in themselves to overcome such obstacles. Too many times, such struggles bring on very bad habits that are so easily fallen into. I have to congratulate you on that. We all, Believers and Non Believers alike need to work on building our inner strength. To avoid the temptations of the world.
    However, as a Believer, I know that when I've relied on my own strength in times of turmoil that I had a much, much harder time overcoming those struggles. It was only when I turned to the Lord in prayer and asked for His strength to see me through and His Guidance to lead my paths, that I have ever been truly strong.
    Also, as a believer I have to wonder this....Is it possible that others were out there praying "for you."
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:50 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Im all about the power of ones self.

I lost weight and learned to listen to my body and follow its directions all by myself without any outside force.

Just a couple of things.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:55 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Praying on your behalf? It's amazing what the power of prayer can do. Even for those who may not believe on their own.
    Maybe a friend, co-worker, family member, or even just associates you have known in passing are Christians and are praying for you. God hears and answers those prayers too.
    We can do nothing on our own completely. We all need someone to "carry us" through the difficult times....you may not want to believe that God had a hand in your strength, recovery, whatever....but that doesn't mean He wasn't there. He knows what you need, and when it's time...He will show Himself to you. God is giving you what you need now, so when He knocks on the door of your heart -- hopefully, you will open it and allow Him to come in. God doesn't beg anyone to believe...but He does offer His free Gift to all...
    Before I truly had a relationship with the Lord, I too assumed all I did I did alone....only now years later as a true
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• believer do I see, that God was there all along....I wouldn't be here now if it had not been for Him and His mercy. He didn't force me to believe..He didn't beg me to accept Him.....He patiently waited for me to come to that realization on my own when the time was right. I love the song "AMAZING GRACE"...it sums it up sooo well....

"AMAZING GRACE , HOW SWEET THE SOUND;
    TO SAVE A WRETCH LIKE ME.
    I ONCE WAS LOST , BUT NOW I'M FOUND;
    WAS BLIND , BUT NOW I SEE "

God Bless
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:00 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Once upon a time ago there was this great city filled with churches of all different sorts that worshiped different gods of all different kinds. Each person went to the church of their choice and no one really cared. If a friend needed guidance and help they would go to their friend's church and ask their friend's god to take particular care of that person. Get where I am going with this? ;-)
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 11:15 AM on Aug. 14, 2009