dentists & toddlers.

what age did you start taking you kids to the dentist. my son is 16 months old and has 14 teeth, he fell awhile ago a chipped one of his front teeth nothing bad and no pain. i was just wondering what age u first took your kids to the dentist...? thanks girls!

MarineDream771

Asked by MarineDream771 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My pediatrician said around two, but when I checked a few dentist's recommendations they said one or when they had a few teeth. It's probably time to start looking for a dentist, and when you find one call and ask how soon they want to see him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I'd take him because of the chipped tooth. Even if it looks fine there could be damage and it wouldn't hurt to have it checked.

Recommendations vary so much. One of my friends was told by her dentist that she should take her baby in by 6 months for a gum check. My dentist doesn't see kids until they're 5 years old. I'm just taking my 3 year old in for his first appointment in a couple of weeks because our health insurance finally added a pediatric dentist that's less than 50 miles away.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:46 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I believe that they recommend the first visit around 2yrs. It's mainly to entroduce them to the dentist and the whole procedure. There really isn't any need for them to see a dentist any younger if their teeth look like they are in good shape and you are brushing them twice a day. As long as all of the teeth are coming in and look good I would wait until 2. It would be a waste of money other wise.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I just took my 3 1/2 yr old to the dentist on Wed for the first time. They didnt clean his teeth at all. He did note an overbite but after getting our family history, he stated that its likely it was genetic. All of my kids have one. They will clean them next time, but she told me generally they dont start cleanings until 4. I would take him in for the chipped tooth. Then they can tell you when they want to see him again. They likely wont be cleaning them until hes a bit older.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:51 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• my DS went when he was 2 we take him to a pediatric dentist. for the first few visits he sat on my lap. Our dentist has cool sun glasses toys etc etc they really understand kids and use kid friendly terms
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:27 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Our pediatric dentist says to bring them in when they get their first tooth.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:44 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• 18 months, but they all are different. I am not sure why a dentist wants to look at a baby's first nub, unless they want to tell you how to brush their teeth. Sounds like a waste of money to me.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:12 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My pediatrician said 3 as long as there are no problems, like dark spots or chipped teeth, and I am brushing her teeth enough.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 12:42 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• okay thanks! i think im gonna start looking to get him into a dentist. =]
    MarineDream771

Answer by MarineDream771 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• when i went to the dentist a few months back they said that all the dentists in the area don't see kids until they are 3 but they shold be checked out around 18 months and there is a prediactric dentist in wilmington. i don't know the name but i am sure it is in the phone book.
    ErinShell21

Answer by ErinShell21 at 8:16 PM on Aug. 14, 2009