My sister get's mad because my mom plays favorites, she gives more attention to my baby, ect. How should I deal with this.

My son is secretly her favorite grand kid. Except it's not realla a secret because everyone can tell she favors him. She calls me and asks if she can have him for the day, but she dreads having my sister's kids over. My sister also get's mad because her new baby(5 months old) doesn't get the same attention and praise that my son gets from grandma. She isn't mad at me about it but I think she kind of feels bad that "no one likes" her kids. I Always play with her kids and give them attention because I think maybe I'm trying to make up for it. I would rather spend time with my son, but go out of my way to make her kids "wanted".

Am I doing the right thing? How should I deal with this?
(mom thinks my baby behaves better, so she wants him around more often than my sister's "bratty" kids)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Your mom is wrong. That is so hurtful and your sister's kids will feel that growing up. I know what it's like to NOT be a favorite, and I still resent it. Talk to your mom...tell her to stop it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• we are in the opposite boat here! my MIL plays favorites to my SIL... the youngest of her 3 kids... she sees her and buys her baby things non stop.. but cant even be bothered to buy my kids a birthday present... she lives 10 mins from us, sil lives 5 blocks away. yet we never see MIL unless its a holiday... i dont know if there is anything you can do to help it. maybe just talk with your mother... you cant make up for the lack of attention shes giving your sisters kids though...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 10:33 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Talk to your mom and let her know that her obvious preference, however valid, is hurting your sister's feelings. Let her know that she needs to make more of an effort with your sister's kids because eventually they will feel it too, and they will probably grow out of being bratty and turn into lovely people someday. I have 3 kids and my sister has 4, and my mom really has to make an effort with one of my sister's kids because she is really annoying - my mom does worry that my sister's daughter will feel less special and that is just not the right way to treat a child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I would rub it in her face without it being obvious to others and when no one else was looking I would do some kinda childish dance! Thro in a Nan-Nana Boo-Boo, thats always a crowd pleaser.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Dont' let your mom have contact or buy anything for your son until she's close to equal emotionally with your sister's baby. Her baby will grow knowing he's not loved as much by grandma if she's not set straight now. You actually see this happening from grandma to your sister and her baby so it's your place to fix it. Think how hurt you'd be if it were the reverse. Even long distance relationships can grow with grandkids great, if your mom is far away from your sister.

Stand up for your sister put mom in her place, firmly, repeatedly. lol. You're very nice for being sensitive to your nephew and sister. But grandma needs to remember both daughters and both grandbabies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• how old are her children besides the 5 month? either way it sucks but just wondering if she has older kids that are rude etc. I would sit all three of them down inculding you and talk about it.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 11:19 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• others have recommended payback etc that's stupid and childish sit down and talk with the both of them you are all adults. Sucks it has to be this way though.

Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 11:21 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I think your mom and your sister need to sit down and have a talk without any kids around. That way they can talk everything out.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:47 AM on Aug. 14, 2009