Did you know? (welfare stats)

About half of black and Hispanic single mothers are on welfare, while about 34% of white single mothers are. Of the total number of welfare recipients in this country, 39.8% are black, 38.8% are white, and 15.7% are Hispanic.

Most mothers on welfare have had their children out of wedlock. In 1973 the largest single welfare category used to be women who were separated or divorced. Today it is women who have never been married.

Almost 75% of AFDC households have only one or two children. Only 10% of such households have four or more children.

15.6% of mothers on welfare are 21 or younger, 39.5% are aged 22 to 29, while 31.5% are 30 to 39, and 13.4% are 40 or older.

18.2% of welfare recipients have been on AFDC for less than 7 months, while 13.2% have been on AFDC for 7 to 12 months, and 17.3% have been recipients for 1 to 2 years.

Only a 25% of welfare recipients have been receiving aid for 5 or more years.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• OP if you are trying to change people's minds you are fighting a loosing battle. These steriotypes have existed forever and are unlikely to change, especially in the angry society the United States has become. People feel they have the right to judge and condemn those on PA. I say UNTIL YOU WALK A MILE IN PEOPLE'S SHOES DON'T JUDGE!!!!
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:38 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• OP

Anyone want to discuss this? Any thoughts, comments or opinions?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Interesting statistics..
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:32 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• OP

These stats are taken from:

http://www.poverty.smartlibrary.org/newinterface/segment.cfm?segment=1823
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I highly recommend people read Star Parkers Book, "Pimps, Whores, and Welfare Brats"

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:34 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• whoop de doo.....who cares...im on foodstamps,and my son gets medical my husband works 60hrs a week he doesnt make a ton of money, we are pretty much gettin back what he puts in im not ashamed after him getting laid off 3 months after i found out i was pregnant we needed food and i needed medical care.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• There is nothing to be ashamed off if you get it, you payed in to the system. The problem is some people think why should they work when they can get welfare.
    I use to work in So.California in a supermarket and I always saw women coming in as a family with their food stamps. There was a grandmother, her adult daughter, her daughter and than her granddaughter ALL WITH FOOD STAMPS. They where teaching the granddaughter how to pay with her stamps. Instead they should of taken her to school and thought her to work. And keep her legs closed, she was 14 with a baby.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:00 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• popcornAre we already going to start throwing stones so early in the day?? Here we go......

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• What's sad is when there are 3 welfare recipients in the same house, along with their mom who makes 60k a year. I KNOW this isn't the case with most people but I personally know a family like this...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• OP

Whoa Nelly! I didn't post these stats to throw stones at anyone...I just thoight they were interesting. On cafemom you hear so many stereotypes-

"Most welfare people are high school drop-outs"
    "Most welfare people are black"
    "Most welfare people have a bunch of kids just to get more welfare benefits"...

It's interesting that statistics say otherwise.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Aug. 14, 2009