Does this seem "offensive" to you?

http://www.wtvr.com/wtvr-costco-offensive-doll,0,5678687.story

Black baby doll marketed under the name "Lil' Monkey" removed from Costco for being "potentially offensive" to African Americans.
Link below has picture of doll.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's a really cute doll and I think too much is being read into the name. Hell, my mom called my youngest "maamaw's lil monkey" when he was a baby - I didn't take it that she was calling him the N-word. Maybe I'm naive, but when we allow adult's paranoia to infiltrate the realm of a little child's imagination and ability to see past color then we are truly destroying the joy of our children. (Which it's us adults that see color - our children don't see it until they're taught to or learn to because of our bias'). If we could take a lesson from children, the racial divide might begin to close. Have you ever seen the eyes of a child when they first learn that one color thinks it's better or worse than another - that's a heartbreak you won't ever forget - and if that doesn't teach you to stop seeing people in color and begin looking at their heart instead of their skin, then you're spirit is in serious trouble.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• To me, personally, no. But then I'm white. Monkey has been used as a dergatory slur against AA for a long time. I can see why this has no place on the shelves.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:34 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I dont know, I guess the creators couldve had a little more common sense when they made this doll. Monkey used to be (and still is) a VERY offensive term for a black person. I can understand the outrage.. Though, being white, I wouldve even blinked at it.. I call my kids "little monkies" all the time.. hehe. ;)
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:34 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• The name is definitely inappropriate, I don't think their marketing team really thought this through. I think it would be OK if the name was different.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 10:34 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• HA HA
    I gota send that to my husband He will get a kick outta that. so will his co workers
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• not at all... its a doll with a monkey next to it.. i think people just need to get the sticks out of their butts
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 10:35 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I think it is inappropriate.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:35 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• click the link for the more pics the white doll is so cute it has a panda bear
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Obviously the marketing person was color-blind, and had not heard of this term in his/her PC world.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:41 AM on Aug. 14, 2009