Baby Locked Inside Day Care Center Alone

JOHNSTON, R.I. - A 9-month-old baby was left alone at a locked Rhode Island day care center for nearly an hour when workers shut the place down for the night, apparently forgetting the child was there.The baby's mother, Julia Castillo, says she came to pick up her son Monday at the My Special Place Early Learning Center in Johnston, only to find the center locked and no one around. A neighbor heard her yelling and banging on the door and helped her get inside, where she found her baby boy crying in a crib.The day care owner, Jessica Faiola, says the child's mother did not sign the baby in when she dropped him off. She calls it a "crazy mistake" and doesn't want to point fingers.Kevin Savage, of the state Department of Children, Youth and Families, says the center has been put on probation.

jaidah917

Asked by jaidah917 at 10:34 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Even though she didnt sign the child in, the child got into the crib SOMEHOW right? So.... how could they just "forget" a 9month old was in there care and not picked up? Ridiculous.. just goes to show the lack of concern some day care centers have.. Makes me so damn nervous when my boys have to go in the Fall.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:37 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Wow, that's really scary. I would put the daycare at full blame. If she didn't sign in, did they just let the baby stay in the crib all day with no one checking on him? Someone there had to realize that baby was there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• what the heck, i would definately sue for neglect and endangerment
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Mom's fault.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 10:41 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• It's stories like this that make me GRATEFUL I lost my job and will be staying home with my son once he's born for awhile. SCARY!
    Bluedragn8

Answer by Bluedragn8 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• its the mom's fault that they left her child in the crib.. idk bout you but when i leave work i do a final look around and gee check the cribs
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 10:45 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Yoshi how do you figure it's the Mom's fault?
    Someone was feeding and changing that baby all day. Before you close up a business, especially a day care business, you should do "rounds" to make sure no child is left inside.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Yes, let's blame mother for not signing in the child because obviously without a signature the child is invisible. Fucking ridiculuous.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:47 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I blame the mother too...why was she an hour late picking up her precious infant? she should have called them and told them she would be late.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Maybe there was a 'shift change' before the daycare closed, and the aide assumed that baby was being picked up 15-20 minutes late and didn't think it necessary to mention it to the director.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 10:50 AM on Aug. 14, 2009