Whether or not you've had one issued or know someone who did-Do you think restraining orders WORK?

From what I see retraining orders kill women because their man are already violent and get more angered by a ro. I wonder if mandatory counselling with mandatory additional or new jailtime (captured by 'Dog Bounty Hunter' types in stead of police to give the police more time for other crmes) would make things better for women in violent relatiionships?

I think using Bail Bondsmen to get some baddies instead police could make for faster captures and free up police for other things.

I don't know. What do you think? What can the U S do to help our sisters in violent relationships?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• I think it depends on who the RO is against. My ex was abusive and when I left him I got a TRO and he did stay away the amount of feet it stated and he did bring along someone to the meeting place to exchange our son. I know there are some people out there who ignore them....they are the really scary ones. So for me and the one RO i had out it worked for me......Funny thing is it made my EX see I did have a back bone and I have not had a problem with him in over 10 years I would even invite him into my home now and not have any fear.

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:07 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I got one against my ex-husband when I left him, and he pretty much went nuts. I ended up having to move to a different city where I didn't know anyone. I know ROs can sometimes be helpful, but a lot of the time they just make the guy mad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I think restraining orders help. I had one and everytime I so much as saw a glimpse of him or his car I could call 911 and they would put him in jail. I didn't worry about going places because legally he couldn't be anywhere near me. Plus after he violated it twice they just kept him locked up for three months.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 11:10 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• they only work if the person is affraid of jail. I got one on my ex cause I knew If I got it I wouldnt see him again cause he has claustrophobia and he had always told me he was afraid of jail cause he would go nuts in a small space so when he started stalking me and threatening me I got a RO and it worked haven't heard from him since:)
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 11:11 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I'm sorry your ex was abusive, and WOW great for your family that being apart changed him and strengthened you!!! That's the first time I've heard of one working out for the good. All the others I read about though and see on TV the ex can't reason like yours did. op here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• There is a reason to have restraining orders, it is to legally cover your ass, to show a papertrail of how disturbed the person is.

A restraining order does not actually protect you, nor should anyone ever get a restraining order hoping that it will help protect them.

As much as I sympathise with anyone who needs a restraining order, they fail to protect you physically. The protection it offers is legal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• OP = i agree woth all you said. I think they're ineffective for the really abusive ppl and make them go nuts.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 11:15 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• a restraining order will cover your ass if you have to shoot the perpitrator. i recomend it.
    hlmommy

Answer by hlmommy at 9:39 PM on Aug. 14, 2009