Why can't I get a positive?

So for 2 weeks now, I have had sore and growing breasts, terrible heartburn, pudgyness, gassiness, nauseated, extra tired, extreme hunger and then some!! I have been preggers before ( two precious kids 2, and 4) I KNOW the signs and symptoms of being preggers. I have not missed a period because i dont have one. I have the 5 year Mirena IUD. MY body feels pregnant, my heart says I am but why can't I get a positive test?? COuld it just be my imagination? Is it too early?

MommaCub

Asked by MommaCub at 11:17 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• With an IUD, the chance of an ectopic pregnancy is greatly raised. If you have a tubal pregnancy then there is a high chance that the hormone levels arent high enough for the pregnancy test to detect so you would need a blood test.

Planned parenthood needs to be informed that you are on the IUD. They should know that it ups the chance of a tubal and that tubals are harder to detect on HPT!!

It isnt really a matter of money, if you believe that you are pregnancy, you need to be seen. If it is a tubal then your tube can burst and i am sure that is something that you dont want!

But the IUD (as with any form on BC) tells your body that you are pregnancy so it is likely that you are having those symptoms because the IUD is actually doing its job
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:12 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• If you suspect your pregnant go to the doctor and SOON so you can get a blood test because the iud will have to be removed right away. Unfortunately people usually miscarry when the IUD is removed.. but you still need to go to the doctor and find out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I agree...go to the doctor, they can do an ultrasound and/or blood test to confirm...which you know. Yes, if you have an IUD in place go for sure....
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 11:30 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• The hard part about going to the Doc is I have NO insurance! I can't apply for medicaid till I have a doctors note saying I am. I went to Planned Parenthood and they even said that they wont do aynthing till I have a positive home test.
    MommaCub

Answer by MommaCub at 11:35 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Go to the ER! Insurance or not they have to see you & if you test positive thru their blood test then medicaid should reimburse that amount.
    colesmommy2009

Answer by colesmommy2009 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Jaydin hit the nail on the head-a tubule pregnancy is very hard to detect on home pregnancy tests- as a result many woman have them that go unnoticed- when the tube breaks it can be deadly- and would cost you MUCH more from the ER bill in the end! Ask your ER to speak with a financial aid person employed by there hospital, many times they have discounts or even do free testing for people with no insurance. if you ARE pregnant medicaid will back cover all your bills.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 2:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2009