Hair loss and feeling bad......should I be concerned?

I have noticed for years that I shed a lot of hair. Since the birth of my first child to be exact, 13 years ago. I have ask the doc and hair dresser many times and they have told me that it is normal. Now, I am still loosing hair. Not in clumps, but loose handfuls. When I wash and brush my hair it is the worst. It is getting on my nerves though because it is on our couch, in our laundry after it is dried, and in the car. It is embarrassing. Yesterday I had my sun roof open and I noticed that the top of my head is looking really thin, I could see my scalp very well. I have thin hair anyway and I can remember my grandmothers looking this way in her 60's. I am 32. Lately I don't feel well. Just headaches and really tired. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Health

• My oldest dd loses her hair by the handfuls but so far her's has not thinned out much. I never see my hair coming out (shower, pillow case, etc) but it's quite obvious mine is thinning so much bc I can see my scalp. My grandmother was almost totally bald by the time she was my age (50's) Since you have a family history of female balding then it's likely that it will continue. I use Nioxin shampoo and therapy. I just bought some stuff I saw tested on Rachael Ray and on Fox News. I don't sell it but I did try it and it's amazing and it building my self esteem back up. I tested it the other day and today on my biggest concern (SO) and he complimented me on my hair! It uses fibers to cling to your hair and fill in the thin spots. There are other brands but I tried TOPPIK. I bought the travel size to test it but will be buying the larger container of it. I had gotten to where I wear hats and scarfs to cover up. This is better

Answer by admckenzie at 11:52 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

• It might just be normal hairloss due to your genetics or whatever, but it could be something else. I think you should ask your doctor to check your thyroid and other hormone levels. A thyroid problem can make you lose hair and feel tired, and if that is your problem you will feel SO MUCH better after you get it under control. If there's a chance there is a problem that can be helped, you owe it to yourself to find out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Aug. 14, 2009