Its not looking good

my husbands office is pretty empty today,they are sending people home no biggie hes salary.The problem is what the future holds.The reason the office is empty is not because they all went on vacation but because hes lacking work.Hes an estimator and they usually do hospitals schools etc but they are struggling to find work right now hospitals and schools dont have the money.So it leaves me wondering what would happen if he got laid off or lost his job?Does anyone have suggestions as to jobs he might be able to do staying in his field ?He was a CAD drafter originally and moved up to esitmation.I know Id work in a sweat shop to keep my family a float so work for me is not an issue I could find something because Id do ANYTHING but he having a proffesional carrer is a bit harder.He cant work a hammer,or change oil.Its getting scary.

Chrystal_A

Asked by Chrystal_A at 12:03 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• He needs to get into (stealth) job hunting mode: update (or create) his Linkedin profile and expand his network; update his resume, creating different versions for different job types; start going to networking events; have a great "elevator speech" and get some personal "business" cards.

I do career & job search coaching. I am always happy to help cafemoms (and dads) with resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview prep. Feel free to contact me directly. –Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 12:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Hi there, I just wanted to say good luck hope everything turns out ok for your family. I really dont know much about ur Husbands line of work but maybe you would be interested in bringing in some extra money every month. If so send me a message for more info and any questions u may have Again god bless!
    florezitta10

Answer by florezitta10 at 2:20 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• While it's always good to continue to find a job that resembles your exact career path, there is nothing demeaning about taking a job that is below your skill level just to survive. If I was him, I'd find a second job, ANY field right now, while he is continuing his search for his career job. This way if something happens to his 9-5, he will still collect unemployment, AND have his foot in the door at his 2nd job, and your family can rest assured your financial situation won't be affected by much. The economy is too bad to be picky right now.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 8:39 AM on Aug. 15, 2009