Son refuses to breastfeed...

Well, I thought my problem was spit up but really it seems to be that my son will only latch on each side for literally 3 mins each and then won't latch back on and starts to fuss. He needs to eat so I have to give him a bottle. When i can pump a bottle, he will drink my breastmilk with no problem. The thing is, it's hard to get enough pumped to make a bottle for him. I dont know what to do...his doctor wants me to breastfeed until he's 1 so Im really upset that he wont latch like normal. He normally is on for at least 10-15 mins each side. this just started randomly a week ago. since it's hard to get a bottle of my milk when i pump, i wind up having to give him formula. the doctor recommended solids and he will be 5 months Aug. 26th. He is teething so we thought the problem was pain from having to work harder to nurse b/c he's figured out a bottle is easier. Im really upset b/c i dont know what im doing wrong. Help!

Ness87

Asked by Ness87 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-26 Credits)
  • You aren't doing anything wrong! My DD was the same way, about 2 weeks after we came home fromthe hospital, she just decided to stop nursing. I couldn't pump enough either. I gave her formula exclusivley after that. It broke my heart but she is a happy & healthy 2 year old now. Don't worry, he will be ok with formula.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• First, I would cut the bottles and pumping out completely. He will not let himself starve. Get in touch with La Leche League, or an IBCLC for more hands-on help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Well yeah he refuses he doesn't have any boobies...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• the problem with that is i am in school mon-thurs 1-6pm so he needs a bottle when i physically cant be there. usually if i need to go out, i wait until he eats then go right after so i can make it home in time for his next feeding to avoid giving him a bottle. I have been breastfeeding him since birth so I dont understand why all of a sudden when he's almost 5 months he wont latch for long anymore. I try pumping a lot but i can never get enough milk b/c it's not the same as my son latching. is there anything i can do for the teething that might make him more comfortable so he will latch? the only time he latches on like normal (10-15 min each) is either first thing in the morning when hes sleepy or right before bed if he's been sleeping. when he pulls off he fidgits a lot and starts crying and wont calm down so i can have him latch.
    Ness87

Answer by Ness87 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• It sounds like nipple preference and a nursing strike due to teething. When you're home with him, do not pump and give a bottle. He'll nurse if he gets hungry enough. You can try teething tabs(works great imo) for the teething, or even a little tylenol. When you're away from him he only needs 1oz per hour of separation. If you can, can you get dcp to give him a sippy of milk? He'snot too young. That may help a bit. If you drop by the Breastfeeding Moms Group here they can answer more questions.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:45 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• is a sippy cup used to avoid him preferring the bottle over me?
    Ness87

Answer by Ness87 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I agree with Arisce. I also want to say BRAVO for your doctor being supportive of breastfeeding, there are HARDLY any supportive breastfeeding pedi's out there!

A sippy cup will help avoid him preferring the bottle over you because of the way the bottle flows...he's getting nipple preference because the bottle's milk comes out a lot faster than suckling at a nipple from a breast. Thus, the baby gets lazy and doesn't want to work for the milk. Also, it's rare that women get a lot of milk out through pumping. It doesn't mean you don't have any milk in there. A baby is soooo much better at getting milk out than a pump. Your baby won't starve himself. Just completely take away the bottle and you'll be okay. What I would tell you though, is your pedi should tell you that you should start solids at 6 months. BF babies' gut matures around 6 months.
    chairhead28

Answer by chairhead28 at 1:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I would definitely contact your local LLL leader and/or a good lactation consultant. I think the sippy is a great idea - I did that with my kids when I needed to give them EBM.

As far as the nursing strike goes - try to nurse when he's sleepy. Lay down with him on your bed, with his blanky, lights out, no music, no noise, no distractions (no TV!) and encourage him to nurse. Also try nursing right when he wakes up, same thing. It's a phase that many babies go through - you just have to ride it through. I would stop the formula though - he won't starve at this age and you have plenty of milk. You might also consider renting a pump just for this short period, but I think with a little help and a lot of nursing, you can get your supply back up and get him back to the boob. Hang in there, mama!
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• you need to take away all the bottles and pumping. especially formula. this phase will pass... really, it will.

increase your milk supply!! duh!

it's really just a phase though
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 2:04 PM on Aug. 14, 2009