At what age should a baby be sitting up?

My baby is 7 months and one wek and cannot sit up yet- should I be concerned?

newmamanew2town

Asked by newmamanew2town at 12:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they all develop at a different pace.
    but if it concerns you. ask the pediatrician if this is something to look at.
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 12:14 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• ditto to above
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 12:16 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My baby is 6 months and 1 week and she can't sit up either. Doesn't even really try! lol but I asked her doctor about it on her 6 month check up and she said that we just need to let her roll around on the floor more so that she can build up her back muscles and work with her a little more. Don't worry too much though. They will sit up and be walking and everything soon enough! :)
    SBerger86

Answer by SBerger86 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My baby could sit up with some help around 5 months and on her own at 6 months. I do agree every baby is different. My first son walked at 14 months and my sencond son walked at 9 months.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 12:22 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• idk.. my DD is 8 months 1 week and trying to let go of furniture and walk, she sat up at 4-5 months crawled at 6 stood at 7 and now trying to walk
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

Would you like a cookie?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Anon:38, that was rude, she was answering the question. SHEESH!

MY DD is 4 months and 1 day, she started actually trying to sit up on her own this morning before I left for work.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 12:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• my son sat unassisted at 5mos

but every baby develops differently...if your concerned call your pedi
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 1:14 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Every baby is different. My DS didn't sit up on his own until he was about 7 months and my DD started sitting on her own at 4 months. My DS started standing and taking steps at 9 months and my DD just turned 11 months and she's just now starting to pull herself on the couch and things, but hasn't taken steps yet.
    chairhead28

Answer by chairhead28 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• They all develop at their own pace. My son was able to sit unassisted at 6 months and my 5 month old daughter does not even want to try to sit, she wants to stand and tries to crawl (goes backwards now).
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 1:32 PM on Aug. 14, 2009