How can I ease separation anxiety?

I work part of the week and always leave right when my daughter is napping. She wakes up and Mommy is gone. The days I don't work I mostly spend with her. This makes adjustment hard on the days I work. Any tips?

preacherskid

Asked by preacherskid at 12:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Please start by talking to her. Tell her where you go and tell her that you will be back. Whenever I needed to do something without my child, I would explain things. Every child is different with seperation anxiety. I don't know how old your child is. I don't know if you can talk to her and explain things. I would even go as far as taking her on a day off to show her where mommy works. Explain to her that mommy has to work to make money to pay bills. Put it in simpliest terms. Even do a roll model game. Tell her she has to go to work and let her mimic what you do. If you are a cashier, then let her play with some money...etc. Always tell her you are thinking of her and give her kisses and hugs, which I know you do. Good luck.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 12:51 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Can you not leave when she is napping? This is what is causing the anxiety. If she sees you leave then she will see you come home and will then start associating the two together.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 12:20 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• unfortunately, she is only 8 months old, and the hours I work are the only ones I can get. I live about 15-20 minutes away from work, and have to leave by 11:40 at the latest to be there at noon. She naps from about 10:30 to 11:45/noonish every day still. It will go better when she stops needing to sleep as much, I'm sure, but she still sleeps alot. I am really grateful for the advice, though. I will use it as soon as I can!
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• aww, I see. I understand now...you are experiencing speration anxiety too because she's so young. I'm sorry. I bet the first thing you do when you get home is hug her.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 6:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• yeah, we play and cuddle as soon as i get home. the hardest part is being told that i spoil her when i leave her at the in laws and she gets really clingy when i pick her up- like i can't even leave her sight once i get there. i know its not true, but it still kinda hits you hard that someone thinks you are not doing things right.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2009