Help me identify this religion??

We have a family here in town that I always thought were LDS. But the more I learn about real LDS I see they are not! So, I am wondering what they are? I would ask but their father doesn't let them talk to "others" (anyone that the dad does not choose for them to be friends with)...

They do not actively attend church that I know of or that would make identifying them easy... But they are only allowed to have sex if they are actively trying to have kids (there are 9 as of now), they are not allowed to seek medical attention (although tthey have in life or death situations) they do not wear deoderant or use any cleaners or "hygene" products that they do not make. They are also not allowed to buy new clothes. They have to wear second hand or make them. They do celebrate christian holidays but I'm not sure as to what they really believe. I'm just wondering if this is an actual belief system or if they made their own?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:30 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• That sounds really vague. Are they amish? Or mormon?
    I don't know, you didn't mention anything specific about their belief in God, jesus, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• **Sorry if I sound critical of their beliefs... I'm not. They all seem happy and healthy! But I am really wondering if this is an actual religion? I do business with them alot because they own a print shop in town and I have 4 businesses - so I print ALOT of stuff! Plus I am going to be publishing a local wedding planner and would like to aproach them about advertising in it since they print invitations and stuff...

But the father/husband is very off putting. He makes me very uncomfortable and isn't one to put anything nicely. SO I am a little aftraid to ask what they are...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• anon LDS is latter day saints which is mormon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Wow.. my first thought was it sounds like a cult but that's just at first glance of what you said! I am not sure what this would be. Never heard of this at all.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Anon - I don't really know much specific about their beliefs. Just the restrictions their beliefs put on their public life. I had a friend (and I use the term loosely) that was betrothed to one of them. And her family is very strict Christian. In fact her oldest brother is a priest and her youngest brother is a missionary... So what I know I know from what I have heard from her and what I see in their shop. I do know that she and the boy are not allowed to date until after the wedding, so they don't really even know each other much. Her father sees it as a financial move because he is getting a decent dowry out of it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Sounds like they're Amish to me. Do you know any of the people that the dad has authorized them to be friends with? Ask them.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• ask the dad. some of these things they do might not be religious beliefs but just personal ways of life.
    jambalover

Answer by jambalover at 12:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• It could just be that they are struggling to make ends which second hand clothes and homemade hygeine products. They do sound very fundamentalist to me. But the lack of medical attention could be Christian Scientist, but then again, it could be a personal conviction rather than a religious one. Meaning they may not believe in our medical system, not a religious restriction placed on them.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:49 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I would guess that they're Amish. Google it and see if it sounds like them.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 12:54 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Amish would be in their own place away from people wouldnt they? Id say more like Mennonite but they would wear particular outfits similar to Amish if they were true to their faiths.

There are many branches that have strict rules about dress and medical. Sounds like they could also just be some people who take their beliefs to the extremes even if others of their faith dont(which might be why they dont attend church cuz they dont like that the congregation is "lazy" or something like that...kwim)?

Im gonna look it up and see if I can help you that way.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:13 PM on Aug. 14, 2009