Donation Tax Write Off! Do they help any?

I have always donated clothes, household items, whatever to the Salvation Army and donation places like that. Sometimes 2 or 3 trash bag fulls at time. They always ask me if I want a receipt for a tax write off and I decline. Well I'm just wondering if anyone HAS ever gotten and saved the receipts for tax write offs and did it make a significant difference? How much stuff do you usually donate? etc.. Thanks!

ms-ambi

Asked by ms-ambi at 12:50 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• Oh, yeah they help! Especially if you are giveing that much. You will usually be able to deduct around $2- $5 an item depending on what you give. Which REALLY adds up over a year! And that's usually at least a few hundred dollars you don't have to pay taxes on! For those of us that don't pay taxes til the end of the year it's a great advantage! I donate my (and my kids) entire wordrobe at the end of each season and go get a new one... So I do get a good bit back! Plus toys and games and books all count as well! And it helps those that need the help! It's a win win!!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:07 PM on Aug. 14, 2009