What are public places that you feel should be no longer operating?

Since someone has to reduce expending let's give the government some ideas of what they can do.........

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• eliminate welfare and related benefits for illegals, and those who continue to have children while actively collecting it. and limit the time one can collect to no more than a total of 2 years--concurrently or broken up over a lifetime! you breed em, you feed em (and house 'em and clothe 'em)

I am SO with you there! It always amazes me when people are on public assistance and yet continue to have more kids they can't afford!

Answer by missanc at 2:53 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Public Libraries: This place is a homeless shelter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Anon 9:59, that is so sad. I love our library. My DH & I are well educated & while I own a lot of reference books & some of my favorite novels, it doesn't make sense for me to buy books. I don't need extra clutter in my house & I read really fast so it is a total waste of money. And DH is looking for a new job so he was able to check out a resume software program. It sells for $399, but he gets to use it for free. Libraries are awesome. My kids love to check out new books. It is usually a busy place but I would never call it a homeless shelter.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 1:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Libraries are the last places that should go.

Fast food restaurants.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 1:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Fast food restaurants are not government-run.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• How about stop paying for politicians to have huge flocks of assistants and make them actually do their jobs themselves, and stop buying them expensive personal jets to fly around everywhere in. They can take a commercial flight like everyone else.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• pagan great idea but is this idea doable?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Public health offices. The one here is almost never used and it is dirty and only open 2 days a week.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 2:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

toll booths on public roads (not turnpikes which are private).

streamline (eliminate positions) at the department of motor vehicles, the post office, and most other government agencies.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Oh, where to start??? 1. National defense should be cut in half, at the very least. We could spend half the money and still maintain a strong defense. We're not the world's policeman or big brother, and all of our interference in other nations' affairs is the reason we have so many enemies (including terrorists). That's a proven fact, like it or not. 2. Education. This is a state issue, not federal. When education was federalized in the 60's, our education system went down the tubes at a frightening pace, and now our education system is a laghingstock, with many illiterates graduating from our high schools each year. Shameful. 3. The "War on Drugs" is a joke and an utter failure. The BILLIONS spent on that are a total waste.

Those are just what I can come up with off the top of my head. If I were to think about it a while (and if I had more space left for my answer), I could come up with many, many more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2009