Im at a loss.. very confused. help?

I have been single for 2 years (since I was 3 months pregnant). I recently got in touch with a friend from High School, he had enlisted in the Army and was over in Iraq, he came home for a 2 week visit this month. I told him we should hang out... We were really good friends (next door neighbors in fact) back in high school.
well, he kissed me.. it was kinda nice, then told me how he's wanted to that for over 9 years (since we met). He goes back to Iraq Monday and is enlisted until June of 2011. so now what?? Im so confused... Idont even know how I feel I've spent 6 hours with him in the last 5 years (and that was the last two evenings)!! That's not enough to put my life on hold for is it?? eep! help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• Well, don't put your life on hold, but be open to the idea. Stay in contact with him while he's gone and you never know you may change your mind and want to wait. Just don't completely rule it out...
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 1:16 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• that's exactly how I feel but it seems unfair to tell him.." if someone better comes along Im not going to turn them down but if Im still available when you get back to the states we'll see"

Surely there is a better way to word it!?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Take it as it is...he has wanted to kiss you for nine years...did he say anything about having a long distance relationship or for you to wait for him? If not, then it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that life keeps on going...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:34 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• tell him to take back a laptop with webcam and "talk" to him often and see where it will lead. That's what my dd did and it's working out well for her. Her guy is back from Iraq and all is wonderful with them

Answer by admckenzie at 1:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• why rush into this guy. live your life and have him live yours. if it is meant to be you guys will come back around again. there are other great guys out there not just him. write or whatever but still just remember you have your own life t attend to and don't put it on hold for him.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• mom2mybabes: he made some references to things that would happen when he got back that included me.. and said some other things that made it sound like he was hoping to keep this thing going after he leaves on Monday. We havent had an actual conversation, but we will.. I just needed to get some ideas about how to approach it so he doesnt think I want a free ride to be a skank but that Im also not ready to be committed to someone half-way across the world that a barely even know anymore.

Thank you ladies for your responses.. I think I have a pretty good idea about how to say what I mean (and men what I say) without hurting him if he DOES ask for me to wait :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Just be honest. Tell him you are interested, but given the distance, you want to take things slow and reconnect. Get to know each other again. Believe me, people can change. I wanted my ex back for yrs, and when I finally got him, I couldn't stand him! So yeah, just write and e-mail and stuff, and see if you still have common interests.
    ladybug4

Answer by ladybug4 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2009