Why is it bad to oppose UHC?

I can not understand why I am being made to feel like I do not care for others because I oppose UHC? I really do not feel the government will do a good job protecting the middle class with UHC. Why does the middle class have to be the ones that are the care takers of others. I keep hearing, you do not care about the working class. I do care about them about as much as they care about me. I honestly believe UHC will not be good for the MAJORITY. How does that make me a bad person? For me it has nothing to do with socialism or how I feel about those that make less than me. It is how I feel it will affect those in the middle who I believe are the majority of Americans. When benefit programs get out of control, it is the middle class that suffers. Please explain why I should worry more about those who are not worried about the effects of UHC on me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I too would like a discussion and I agree with OP and others on the subject. Rk asks if there is a better solution and I think there probably is. Can we not expand systems in place and help those that need coverage without changing or putting under the government control those that already have coverage. I understand the need for some but not for all. As far as public education vs public health care, I think many can agree that the funding model for public education at the national level is not good. Here in our district since we are a high wage earning area, we get very little from the Federal Govt and so we pay a great amount of our per pupil from our property taxes. That is a huge hole in the Public School/Health Care defense. In many areas, schools are primarily funded through property taxes NOT federal taxes as many assume/argue.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Well, people make you feel bad about your opinion because you are using your own brain and wanting to put your family first. Individual thinking went out the window a long time ago, but the lack of individuality became more apparent/blatant Nov of last year. I feel exactly the same way you do on this subject, but most importantly, I will NEVER sacrifice MY family so that someone else can get what should be going to my family first. Meaning, ALL MY hard earned money should go to my family, I never signed up for supporting others. Sorry people.... it's called personal responsibility!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• The current system has prices millions of people out of the system. If the VA were privatized, we would no longer be able to afford to provided medical care to our veterans. Medicare recipients who (many accidentally) switched to private insurance plans have found themselves denied medically necessary treatments.

I cannot get private insurance because I have asthma. My husband cannot get private insurance because he has sleep apnea and sleeps with a cPap machine. If one of us gets cancer, we will be twice a likely to die as someone with insurance. Not only that, we are one disease away from homelessness.

The US has the most expensive healthcare in the world, yet our infant mortality rate is rising, and we are all living sicker.

We have universal education, police, fire and military. Is medical care less important than these?
    The system is broken. Do you have a better solution?

Answer by rkoloms at 1:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I can only speak for myself. Opposing universal health care is one thing, yelling and being hateful and threatening is another. Also, are you discussing from facts or are you discussing from media hype and sound bites. We need MEANINGFUL INTELLIGENT dialogue about this issue and the current proposal, not yelling not name calling. 

So if you can discuss in a meaningful way, ask questions, accept that others aren't going to agree and listen to them, then please bring some civility to this.  I welcome the discussion, not the yelling.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• To answer your question it is a tactic used to try and manipulate people and make them feel guilty and just shut up and accept.We have been that same tactic used when some yell we are just racists is why we really do not like Obamas policies and calling him a socialist is racist it REALLY means we do not like him because he black...get the picture? Its clear
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Yes being petriotic and voicing our concerns is considered "hateful" too.How dare us want an America more like our founders fought for.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• For the record before I get blasted I am not condoning threats on peoples lives.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• "Answered at 12:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 by: tnmomofive
    Yes being petriotic and voicing our concerns is considered "hateful" too.How dare us want an America more like our founders fought for. "

The founders who excluded women and considered blacks to be 2/3 of a person? Are you kidding? The founders were a bunch of rich white men who did their best to exclude "commoners" from government.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Patriotic*
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:42 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• and away we go the liberal spin SOME would LOVEEE to teach our children that our founders were just nasty evil disgusting people.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:43 PM on Aug. 14, 2009