What is a Good Family Friendly Dog?

My husband and I are thinking about getting a puppy and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what breads of dogs are good with children. We do not want a small dog, and we would prefer to get a dog that does not shed that much. Does anyone have any ideas?

Asked by NewMomDee01 at 10:06 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Pets

• shitzu....they're really smart!

Answer by calebnme07 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Golden Retrievers are the best to be around kids.

Answer by lisafc at 10:38 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I have a Jack Russell Rat Terrior mix, he's great. I suggest you get a rescue dog that has been tried around kids...

Answer by nunyabiznz at 10:50 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• i have a beagle and she is wonderful even though she is on hte smallish side... she weighs 30 lbs. she is very friendly and gentle with kids and doesnt shed at all unless you brush her. she is also a very athletic little dog and goes on long walks and loves to play with our big dog, buddy, who is a lab-shepherd mix and weighs 100 lbs. i like the beagle because she is small enough to pick up and manage but not a delicate litlte lap dog. she doesnt make a huge amount of noise - buddy is much more of a barker than sam is. buddy barks at everything, sam only barks for strange people and cars. if i were you, i would look into beagles. hope this helps!

Answer by anniekelleher at 11:12 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I have the most wonderful, gentle standard dachshund, but many are not good with kids. George is wonderful with our 2 year old...even when she steps on his back (not good for a long dog). I grew up with a collie...wonderful!

Answer by 1funkymomma at 12:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I would agree with the Golden but your best bet is to visit a pound and visit a few times and adopt a loveable mutt. They are usually the best family dogs.

Answer by momto1727 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• go to the AKC website. They give a full disciption of all the breeds. Their temperments, shedding, and how much excercise a breed needs, and other things you want to know.

Answer by barrettboys at 2:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Lab's, Shelties there are a lot of good breeds that are great with kids. Try your local shelter for mutts to. Has far as shedding most dogs shedd some more then others, you will just need to look into the breed

Answer by T.W. at 2:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Do NOT get a JRTerrier unless you really know wht you are getting into! Don't get me wrong - I loved my little Ozzy - but he was like tending to a scitzophrenic OCD kid!
    Get a LAB! They are wonderful. Or just a mut :) Be sure and rescue though and not buy!

Answer by Bentyswife at 2:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Pit bull :) Seriously.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2008