How can I get my baby used to sleeping in his crib?

My baby is 5 1/2 months and he has really bad sleeping habits. The first few months I would hold him every time he slept because I just loved to have him in my arms. I have since tried to break him of it but it has been really hard. He wakes up within a few minutes of laying him down unless I am sleeping by him. Also, I let him sleep with us because I nurse and now its hard to break him and me of the habit. I can try to get him to sleep in his crib for a couple hours but then he wakes up often and I end up super tired and I give in and just put him in bed with us. Also, he still is nursing every two hours at night and still very regularly during the day. Should I be feeding him baby food more than once a day at this point to help compensate for this???

MyMommyLife

Asked by MyMommyLife at 1:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I personally would just keep doing what you're doing. WIth my 1st two I was exhausted and always trying to lay them down in their crib after nursing, they'd wake up, I'd have to get up.. ugh. Now I just nurse in bed and sleep myself because it is just easier. If he wakes I just nurse and he falls back asleep, so I don't have to get up. I keep a few diapers by the bed in case he wets at night so I can change real quick and fall back asleep. My 3rd I did this with and she sleeps in her own bed now in her room. My little guy is still in bed with me. I just gave up on that other stuff because I was so cranky. Sorry, not too much help to get him out of bed with you, but I understand that struggle. I gave up. ;)
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 1:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• If you are really determined to get the baby to sleep in his crib, you gotta bite the bullet and not give in. I held my little one in my arms for the first 3 months. And slept with him another 3 moths. I know how hard it is to hear them cry when you lay them in the crib. But you gotta just let em cry. At first they may cry for hours. but if you want success, you gotta keep doing it. This will NOT traumatise them. It might bugg you SO PUT ON SOME HEADPHONES OR GO TO THE OTHER END OF THE HOUSE. give it a week and the baby will be used to the routine and you can get some good night rest. Be strong, my friend.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 5:34 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• what I did was doing naps in the crib...then evenually wean em into sleeping in it at night.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 5:36 PM on Aug. 14, 2009