My 13 yr old daughter always exaggerates when talking with her friends to make her life look and sound more exciting. She is being to lose friends because of this. We have talked and talked about honesty and being trustworthy. I get the mom I know, I know. But things don't seem to change. I am at a lose. HELP!!!!!!

She thinks that it makes her life look and sound more exciting. However she is beginning to lose friends because of it. She decided to change Jr Schools this year to get a fresh start. I am just afraid she may do the samething again. I talk and talk about honesty and being trustworthy with her. I get the Mom Mom I know, but I don't think that shes changed. HELP!!!!

erinsmom1130

Asked by erinsmom1130 at 1:19 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Okay...I understand youre concern. Your daughter has experienced her own negative consequences for her behavior. I think thats a good thing at this point. Shes realized that her embellishing and exaggerating caused her to lose friends. I think that she is doing this to be liked and accepted and in reality people will like her just because shes fun and friendly. I think that you are very concerned for her and thats normal but dont protect her from her own consequences. Shes old enough to know better now and because shes already experienced the consequences one time, I think shes learned her lesson. Dont shield her from this. I can imagine how frustrating it is for you. Moms always want their kids to be liked and accepted and not have drama at school. I can sympathize with you on that. good luck and trust that your daughter has turned over a new leaf.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:29 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Well... there's nothing much you can do, unfortunately.
    You can't hover around her at school and call her out, and you've had a talk with her, and she supposedly "knows."
    The only thing left to do is have her realize her mistakes and help herself come to the realization that having a "boring" life with friends is better than having a fictional "exciting" one without friends.
    You could also take her to see a counselor - or talk with the school counselor to see if she needs some help with identifying herself or whatnot. Good luck.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 1:22 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Maybe get her more focused on community than friends. Sounds like she has too much down time and could use more responsibility. 4H and public libraries are great places for teen activities, girl scouts too and hospital volunteer work is also great. How about volunteering in the afternoons at a daycare or vet?

I just recently took away computer and iphone from my teen cause of attitude. Plus 4H is a requirement from me for him this year. Computer's only allowed since six weeks ago from now on for school reports and its on the kitchen computer. No laptop anymore. Cell phone only when we're out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• She's going to have to learn her own lesson. Stop transferring her to different schools so she actually can learn!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:32 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• i had a friend who was like that. she was soooooooo annoying. she would lied so much, she would believe her own lies.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2009