Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

so I have a question...also need some CPS info

So my cousin, who's 14, wanted to cme live with me and I am willing to find a bigger place to have her come stay with me and my hubby and new baby. But I found out some other things were going on at her house and thats where I need help.

She doesnt want to leave unless her brother comes too because of this: Her brother has ADHD, i think, I just think he's a normal 11 year old, but they say he does. Any way their step dad of less than a year will close him in his bedroom with the lights off, no one is allowed in, and he will beat him. They say he has a tantrum but he's not he's fighting to breath because the man is 270+ and will sit on him 80lbs boy and he's fighting to stay alive as he gets punched out. This was highly disturbing and I want to help...

I dont think he will tell anyone this though because he doesnt want to leave his mom so I was thinking I could help...cont

Answer Question

Asked by Dom123123 at 1:30 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Relationships

Level 2 (12 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • I was thinking, since they live in Texas, I could offer that they come here for winter break, and when their here I can call CPS, since cps has been called many times ther but they always give the excuse that he has ADHD and the bruises happen duriing his tantrums, for some reason where they live thats okay, even though the truth is this guy is beating him for no reason as I mentioned abouve.

    Well in mean time I was going to see if I can have his sister take pics of the bruises so I can report the pics to CPS here in California so when they do come CPS will already be involved and I can fight for them to stay with me, or another family member...

    I dont know what tto do Im so lost and I feel so bad for them. Does that sound good? should I go about it a different way?

    Answer by Dom123123 at 1:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • no, call cps NOW and tell them they can stay with you. You can get financial assistance from the state for both of them. Get that boy out of that environment before the man kills the kid

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • Oh, no that is friggin HORRIBLE.
    If the mother is willing to take pictures of the bruises... is she not willing to at least do something about the stepfather? I don't know if I could even survive in an atmosphere where my son was being beaten. :/
    I would definitely have them come to you - and have CPS on standby. You can certainly give your local CPS a call to see what you can do - sometimes, they won't get involved because it's not their state or.. jurisdiction.
    Next time it happens, advise the girl to call the cops. Whether anonymously or not. You can even tell her you called because you're so worried that his "temper tantrum" will have him seriously injured one day.

    Answer by K_Sawyer at 1:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • Is this your Aunt who is their mother? She allows this? GET THOSE KIDS OUT NOW!

    Answer by feesharose at 1:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • Becareful with your baby mommy. Tell a school counsellor and let them handle it. It will be confidential and then you can step up to take in kids.

    Answer by lfl at 1:39 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • should I call a CPS social worker today? What will they have me do?

    Answer by Dom123123 at 1:39 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • Thats awful! Sometimes it seems like CPS only goes after the innocent people-It makes me sick knowing that people get away with abusing children like this!! I would definately call CPS,eventually they're going to catch up with the abuse (the sooner the better!).Having the girl take pictures of the bruises and what not is a good idea,BUT she would have to be SUPER careful!!! she doesn't need to get caught taking pictures,because then she too will be putting herself in the line of danger! It isnt fair how the system works,kids don't deserve to go thru any type of abuse,its just so hard to prove a parent unfit-especially a mother!! I wish you the best of luck though-and getting the kids over vacation sounds like a good idea! Sometimes if a situation is serious enough a judge CAN order an emergency temp.custody order while a child(ren) are in your care! Best of Luck!!

    Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • Hey Dom...sorry to hear of the situation with your family members. Its really sad to hear. How long has this been going on? DId she just now tell you? The kids to really need to be removed now, but the likelyhood of them getting to come live with you might be a slim chance. I dont know that but they could just storm in and put them in foster care. I would hope not, but its always possible. I think that you should call someone in your local social services office and ask for their thoughts about it. They might be able to tell you how to go about this to ensure that these kids will have you on their side. Its also possible that another family member will step in and try and take them too. The system is just so screwed up. Let us know how it goes!

    Answer by momofsaee at 1:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • I'm a former CPS investigator in TX. You need to call CPS and tell them the whole story. You also need to call them each and every time a specific incident happens. Sometimes it takes a paper trail of multiple events before CPS can legally remove the child.

    Also, I promise that the CPS investigators aren't buying the whole, this is an ok way to parent because he's ADHD excuse. It's just that in TX, parents have a lot of rights and it takes a lot for the state to actually be able to do something. Just call and call and build up that paper trail. Also, you'd be surprised how honest kids will be with investigators when they come to the school (away from parents) to question them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • I know their school starts on like monday and I thnk I will contact the school as well, Thanks for the advice

    Answer by Dom123123 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.