how can i get my son who is two yeras to relax and calm down when he wants his dinky (binky) ?

even though he throws them away and throws them out the windown he still makes himself sick if he dont have it in the car and anywhere else i fele bad cuz he looks at me like i just hurt him and probally thinks why is my mom doing this she knows i need it for my security ???????? HELP ME SOMEBODY IM GOING CRAZY ANMD I WANT WHAT IS BEST FOR MY SON TO HELP HIM BE INDEPENDANT.PLEASE SOMEBODY???

mommyof1gr8boy

Asked by mommyof1gr8boy at 1:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When both of my boys turned 2, I "lost" the binkys. They asked where is my binky and I would say "Mommy lost it, I can't find it anywhere! I am so sorry" They were upset, but within two days, they were just fine without it.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 1:43 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Stop giving the pacifier back to him. He's 2 and shouldn't need it any longer. He carries on because he knows you will cave, giving in to his little game of chase and get it back for him.

He doesn't need it for his security. At his age it is HABIT. And it's only going to get harder to break the longer you allow him to play you in his little game. You're not helping him to be independent, you're enabling him to continue a habit and allowing him to run all over YOU.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Try to make it less appealing. Take a scissors and clip a little bit off the tip today and keep doing it until there's not much left. Maybe once it's unappealing maybe he'll forget about it. Another approach maybe tell him well I think you're big now, maybe we should put this away now. Or maybe we should mail it to a baby that needs it. Try that see if you can make it less appealing, a lot of people have done that approach and they give up on it. The other thing is tell him this is the last one, when it's gone, I am not getting you another one, you are a big boy now. Hope you can get him past this soon. Also, another thought is if he hasn't gotten all his teeth in yet he may be using it as a way to chew on it to teeth? Just my thoughts, good luck. Hang in there, you can do it.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 3:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2009