Is this bad?

My daughter refuses to drink water. Occasionally I get her to drink 2-3oz of water, but that is rare. I have started putting 4oz of water and 2oz of milk mixed and she just thinks it's milk. This is the only way I can get water into her. I tried putting a little juice in her water, but she didn't really like it and it gave her a diaper rash anyway. I will keep lessening the milk until it's practically none at all. Oh, and it's 2%milk and she's 13 months old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I myself wouldn't worry about the water, as long as she is drinking milk and juice or other fluids like fresh fruits etc. On the other hand, if you leave water in a cup or spill proof sport bottle and offer her that during the day. My daughter and son never seemed to have a problem with drinking water. In fact my daughter has a sippy cup or spill proof bottle that she puts in the corner of her bed at night time. Just like I have water on my nightstand. Just keep offering the water. Limit what you add to the water to keep the sodium and things she doesn't really need out of her water. You can make all fruit smoothies or smoothies with milk or yogurt if you think she needs more fluids during the day. Good luck, just keep offering the water.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• no its not bad all kids go through that. get flavored water. and put a drop of food coloring in it do she thinks its juice lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My son went through that stage when he was about the same age. I put crystal light in his sippy cup with the water and he loved it. Now he will drink pretty much anything I give him. I
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 2:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• also she should be on WHOLE milk not 2 %
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• No, she shouldn't. The ped said to put her on 2% milk. She said they used to think the babies needed the extra fat, but A. It's not necessary if they have a healthy well balanced diet and B. With childhood obesity on the rise, they have started suggesting 2%milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• 2% milk is fine, geez.

Don't worry about juice, it's not really a diet requirement! LOL Especially since it gives her a rash.

Flavored water is FULL of sodium.

Crystal light, you might as well give koolaid.

OP...what you're doing with the milk is fine. I don't know why it wouldn't be. The water is definitely more important than the milk...although now they are saying adults don't really need 8 glasses a day because we get liquid from such a variety of sources, blah, blah, blah.....LOL

You're doing fine.

(our ped. had ours all on 2%, too)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• my son(18 month)didnt drink water before too.once he saw me givimg water to my youngest daughter and now he drinks it like crazy(but the problem he only wants to drink from the bottle
    vikaho

Answer by vikaho at 2:51 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• does your daughter want to drink out of the same glass/bottle as you? I know my son will drink water well if it is in the same type of water bottle as I use. . . Every time I get a bottle of water he reaches for it or asks for it (he is 22 months though) might be worth a shot. . . I use the Ice Mountain bottles with the sports top and then just wash and refill it from the tap. . .Or, I found sports bottles at walmart on clearance for $.50 and $1.00. just some thoughts. . .

Personnaly I'd skip flavorings except watered down 100%juice because of sweeteners.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:45 PM on Aug. 14, 2009