~Picky toddler~ What to make her

My daughter is now 19 months and has always been picky since she can feed herself. i wanted some ideas on what other moms make for their little ones. please no age over 2... some that are simple an some snacks. i can use all the help.. she loves chicken nugets so much i feel ilke thats all she will eat.please help

nesamama

Asked by nesamama at 2:00 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Feed her what she needs, veggies protein etc... believe me, if she is hungry and that is what is out for her she will eat it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Fix a plate for her from the same stuff you and your husband eat. Stop being a short order cook or you will have a bigger battle ahead of you.

There is no reason (unless, of course you've not mentioned a medical one) that she isn't eating what and when you eat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• fix a variety on her plate, if she is hungry enough she will eat what is there. Put apple, cheese, maybe a bowl of yogurt.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 2:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Give her healthy options, when she's hungry she will eat. If all she will eat are chicken nuggets, you could try the "veggie nuggets" they have at the grocery store too - might be a little healthier.

My kids used to love whole grain waffles (frozen Nutrigrain) spread with some all fruit (Polaner - not jelly, the all fruit is healthier, no sugar), fruit or veggies with a dip (think strawberries with a side of yogurt, broccoli "trees" with ranch), mozzarella cheese sticks, fruit on a stick (skewers of fruit - not sure why they liked this, it was a novelty). Play with food - make "faces" on her plate out of what you're serving, eat what you're serving her. Don't make food a battle - she WILL win.

Answer by missanc at 2:22 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I agree with everyone else. You arent a short order cook, she'll eat what you and your husband eat. She wont starve.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Well, to make her chicken nuggets healthier, you can make them yourself very easily.

Chicken breast meat cut into strips or nuggets. Dip in or spread on low fat mayo and dip in breadcrumbs. Bake at 350. Time will obviously depend on the size of the nuggets/tenders. Super easy and super yummy
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I get these really good Ultimate Fish Sticks at Costco that are real fish...just breaded. She LOVES them! Other good foods: yogurt covered fruit or yogurt covered cheerios (or other cereal). Dip is a big one for my daughter (15 mo.)....she'll eat anything if you give her something to dip it in! I give fresh steamed veggies with a side of ranch, ceasar, or even ketchup and she'll eat every last bite. Fruit dipped in yogurt is good. My daughter loves cheese....so I often will melt a little cheese over some chicken bites and she loves that. Also, I find that changing the shape of a food gets her interested again (she wouldn't eat banana for awhile...then I started slicing instead of chunking and now she can't get enough!). Beans are a big hit...and they're high in fiber, protein and iron. Finally - make sure the juice intake isn't too high...lots of toddlers fill up on juice and aren't interested in real food.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• i have the same problem and my son is under weight.i cook soups for him with dif veggies.the rest he just doesnt want to eat
    vikaho

Answer by vikaho at 2:49 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP.. I APPRECIATE IT
    nesamama

Answer by nesamama at 2:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2009