bottle sterialization

So do I put the bottle in the water before or after the water starts boiling? and do I include the lid that keeps the nipple on the bottle or just the nipple and bottle? Thanks ladies new mommy not sure how to do this!

Sbahns

Asked by Sbahns at 2:20 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well when I do it I put the water on first and let it get good and boiling, then drop the nipples (and pacifiers if you use them) in the water for about 3 minutes then get them out and let them cool and dry. And you just do the nipples, not the rings or lids or anything. I always just wash the bottle itself in the dishwasher.
    Cass052005

Answer by Cass052005 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• in alll honesty...i never steralized my bottles....just used really hot water...but i know if you have a dish washer thats one way to do it...but i would be concerned if its plastic bottles it would melt in boiling water...when my hamsters had babies i took the piece she had them on when they started to walk and boiled it to clean it....and it melted in the water...LOL
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 2:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• However it says to do it on the package.

I always just put everything in a pot, filled it with water, put it on the stove and heated until it was boiling, then boiled for the recommended number of minutes. Unless, of course, other specific directions were given.

After that, just washed with soap and water.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• i got the water boiling, then put ALL parts of the bottle in (we used ventiaire so there was 5 pieces per bottle!) and boiled it for a few minutes. Pacifiers too. I never washed my bottles in the dishwasher... As she got older I just hand washed them and didn't boil anything. Make sure you watch them and if you are going to walk away, take the kettle off the burner.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Hmm lemme see if I remember how I did it.. I always boiled all parts of the bottle just to be safe.. Just make sure to have plenty of water in the pot. And I always put the bottles in the water even before it started boiling. But either way you do it it still does the job =)
    Cameolynn

Answer by Cameolynn at 2:28 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• Dr. Brown's makes a great microwave sterilizer. We use that... the only catch is that if you don't watch the water level, it can warp pieces of your bottles. We learned that the hard way. We use the ventairs from playtex and the little vent rings at the bottom got warped and started leaking. I love it though and it was $30 at babies r us. It works for lots of different bottles though.

But, how you are doing it, I always boil the water first and then put the parts in. I boil everything. caps, rings, nipples, bottle, bottom cap, and vent.
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 3:44 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• My rule was boil the nipples after purchase, and then normally just hand washed in hot soapy water. Rinsed well with hot water. My fear wasn't so much the boiling to sterilize after the first time was to make sure all the soap was rinsed off really well.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 5:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2009