Almost 1 and WILL NOT drink milk. What should I do?

My son hates milk. When he sees his bottle he thinks formula, if there is milk in it he spits it out and screams. I don't understand because isn't milk supposed to taste better? Should I just leave him on the Good Start 2 untill he is 2?(it's for 9-24 months) Should I give him the milk and he will drink it when he is hungry/thirsty enough? He won't take milk or formula out of a sippy cup or straw either, only juice or water can be in the cup.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Aug. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe switch over 1oz per bottle for a week, then 2oz ...... until it's completely milk. Thats how I did it and I never had a problem.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• slowly add milk to his formula...every day keep adding a little bit more instead of formula...after a while he wont realise hes just on milk! as far as sippy cups...you just havta do it...my oldest didnt want to get rid of the bottle at that age either...i didnt give her a choice and just got rid of all the bottles....after a while she didnt care...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 2:34 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• The 1 oz at a time approach works well...I'd start with that. Then, when its time to switch to a sippy cup only, try to keep the routine the same (i.e. I always sit on the couch with my daughter and a blanket for milk time) and just switch to a sippy cup one day. Make a big deal about what a big boy he is and he doesn't need his bottle any more. He'll give you hell for a few days (minimum) but be consistent...if you have to - throw the bottles away so you won't be tempted to give in. Increase his calcium rich foods (cheese, yogurt, arrowroot cookies) until he is taking at least 2 cups worth a day. If you don't do it now...it'll be MUCH MUCH MUCH harder later! A 2 year old is much more difficult to convince of change. Good Luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:42 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• with my son i added milk to formula and slowly he start to drink milk.now he lovesss milk
    vikaho

Answer by vikaho at 2:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I wish I'd known about the adding of milk to formula. My son fought me so long about that.

As for the sippy cups, I was advised to start those at 6 months and he wouldn't have it. It took until he was one. I just finally put away the bottles and got him a Nuby cup with the gel straw. I know you said yours won't do milk even with the straw but you are probably just going to have to wear him down. I agree with the PP who said it's harder to change the habits of an older child.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2009

• I tried milk, and my sone wouldn't take it, it was such a fight. But I decided to try vanilla soymilk (the kind "fortfied for kids" with extra calcium) and to this day (he is almost 3) he prefers soymilk over juice! It was a life saver =)
    amberstevens

Answer by amberstevens at 4:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2009